1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/Editor — Seguin, Texas

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TexasVet, Jul 22, 2017.

1. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

From Texaspress.com

The Seguin Gazette, an award-winning daily publication in the heart of South Central Texas, is looking for a talented and versatile sports reporter/editor.

The sports editor in Seguin is a high-profile member of our staff. He or she covers three school districts, four high schools and Texas Lutheran University. The position lays out not only the sports pages, but also builds the full product in the absence of the managing editor. It requires a high-energy individual who is capable of switching gears on the fly. We’re a small staff, so while mainly responsible for sports, this position is also an integral part of our news team. Applicants will be expected to shoot photos, layout our daily sports page and make effective use of various social media platforms. Experience with Adobe InDesign is preferred.

Seguin is a quirky and historic city of just over 30,000. Only 30 minutes from San Antonio and an hour from Austin, this is a rapidly expanding community built along the banks of the Guadalupe River and located in one of the nation’s fastest growing counties.

A part of Southern Newspapers, Incorporated, which operates 15 other papers — including the Galveston County Daily News and our nearby sister paper The New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung, the Seguin Gazette offers market competitive wages and a full range of benefits. In addition to our daily paper, the Gazette also publishes a bi-monthly magazine and a wide variety of glossy products — including "Gameday," our annual high school football preview magazine.

Contact Publisher Jeff Fowler at jeff.fowler@seguingazette.com or Managing Editor Travis Webb at travis.webb@seguingazette.com to apply. Please include a cover letter, clips and portfolio work with your resume.

2. Scribbling Nomad

Scribbling Nomad New Member

I'm the current sports editor and can answer any questions you have about the job. Great newsroom in a talent-rich area, you'll have plenty to cover out here.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Great town, good location, plenty of good sports to keep you busy!
    Oh, and pecans.

4. Greg Ford

Greg Ford New Member

How is the area for someone looking to leave a big city and possibly find a place to retire?

5. Scribbling Nomad

Area's got something for everybody; if you can't find what you're looking for in Seguin, you'll find it in a surrounding town, all of which are within driving distance. It's definitely a lot slower of a pace than a big city, so if you're looking to wind down, I'd recommend sending your info in

SpeedTchr likes this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Here's a question, eh. Does Tyler Seguin live in Tyler or Seguin?

cjericho likes this.
  7. Tyler Carter

Tyler Carter New Member

How soon are you hoping to hire someone? Also, what if I am currently a general assignment reporter at my current job, can I send in clips of me covering sports while I was in graduate school? I covered the Ole Miss Men's Basketball team during my tenure there.

8. Scribbling Nomad

Looking to hire someone ASAP, I leave in two weeks and fall sports season begins in mid-August. Feel free to send in sports clips; I won't be making the hiring decision but we are still taking resumes.

9. Allen Perkins

Allen Perkins New Member

Has this position been filled?

10. Scribbling Nomad

The position has been filled

11. Allen Perkins

Allen Perkins New Member

Thank you, much appreciated.

Draft saved Draft deleted