1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have been a Spurs fan since I was an early teen, before there was a San Antonio Spurs. I just thought Tottenham Hotspur was/is a cool name, just like I became a Canadiens fan because of their players' names.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I've been a Man U fan basically since 1989, but I didn't jump back into it until after the last WC. I saw Aston Villa play a friendly locally that year and thought about following them. Turned out I chose wisely....

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

May have something to do with the Ted Lasso spots.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Based on what I've seen, I'd say that the most popular EPL teams in the US are, in this approximate order: Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal, Spurs and then Chelsea. By far you see more Barca shirts than any other club and I think that Real Madrid is more popular than any EPL team.

There were a couple of fans with "The Chosen Team" shirts at the match last night, but not many touting the Jewish connection. Lots of Son shirts, even though he didn't play.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm thinking 2-1 USMNT tonight.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Damn it, FS1 got me. I thought the match was starting now. We are still 41 minutes from kickoff.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Of all the EPL teams, Spurs would seem to have the largest number of players who appeal on their own to neutral fans. Kane, Dele Alli, Son (he can be great when he's on), Erikson (for purists), etc.

8. Webster

I think that's right. Of the players who are just fun to watch Kane and Dele are pretty high on the list. Off the top of my head, I'd add Pogba, Coutinho, Alexis, Mahrez, Vardy and Costa.

9. Webster

Jamaica parking the weed bus.

10. Webster

What a free kick by Jozy!

justgladtobehere likes this.
  11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Jesus what a shot

12. Webster

On replay, a heck of a strike but the keeper needs to get to that. A tenth of a second earlier or an extra inch of wingspan and he gets that.

Draft saved Draft deleted