1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Typefitter, you flat nailed it. Best synopsis of our broken system as I've ever seen. The price gouging is disgusting.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not merely saying it's different.

I'm saying it's unique. It's your life. It's your health. The thing you carry around with you every minute of every day. Doctors thus have an authority in our culture that almost no one has, certainly not mechanics. When a nurse or a doctor says the words "I'd hate to see you have a heart attack because we didn't get this test (that costs $2,500)" it's unique compared to a mechanic pontificating "boy, I'd sure replace that transmission before it goes out on ya."

It's death vs. a transmission.

Lemon health care kills people. Lemon cars are mostly irritating and inconvenient.

This free medical market paradise you envision will almost certainly harm and kill more people, because, in your example of mechanics...there are terrible, shitty, no good, cheap mechanics, just like there are shitty, no good, cheap pizza places.

Shitty, no good, cheap health care would be a disaster.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every other developed country has some means of getting as close to universal coverage as possible. That's because all of them put some limits, some much stricter than others, on profit-taking from the system. To expand coverage, either everyone, consumers and providers alike, has to be taxed more to do it, limits have to be placed on profit opportunities, or some combination of the two. It's not that complicated except politically.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wonder how many freelance paychecks Typefitter has negotiated down.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Most people don't have a medical degree, sure. If they did, they wouldn't have to trust in someone else's expertise. But the point is people don't have expertise in a lot of things, and they still have developed ways to navigate the world and make decisions about whose expertise and advise to trust. For example (cue, the "it's different! posts), you don't have legal expertise, but if you needed a lawyer how would you go about finding one? If you wanted to buy a fridge, would you consult consumer reports, read reviews, ask others, read up?

If the thing you value the most is your own health and your family's health, you are not acting irrationally if you make decisions that put a primacy on those things. It doesn't mean you are primed to act stupidly or against your own interests, though. When people don't bear the costs of their decisions directly, they behave differently than when they do. That is just empirically true.

Good health is not an entitlement. People who try to insist it is one, run into the fundamental problem of scarcity. People have unlimited wants and needs -- particularly when it comes to the thing that a lot of people value the most (their health). Health care is a limited resource. The notion that it is an entitlement has led to a lot of demagogic promises that ignore the fundamental scarcity. People have been sold intentions as results. It's how we come up with schemes like Medicare and Medicaid (which have grown into monsters that are bankrupting us and have driven up costs to extreme levels), the ACA, and a variety of other attempts to centrally plan the inherent scarcity away (which is a fairy tale). Worse, though, those attempts make things worse -- it creates greater scarcity due to higher costs. When you take a limited resource and separate the costs from the people who benefit from it, you are guaranteed to create inefficiencies, waste and drive up costs. Which is exactly what we have done. THAT is the irrationality. Not letting people bear the costs themselves, and make decisions accordingly based on their own utility.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

It seems weird to accuse someone of being unwilling to understand as part of a relatively short post where the whole point was to willfully ignore the crux of someone's argument.

typefitter likes this.
  7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't even understand why it's complicated politically. Some large majority of Americans would benefit from a single-payer system. Once you switched (it's too late now, but you know what I mean), I sincerely believe you'd wonder why you ever tolerated the old system. Every time I hear of an American being forced into a worse job, or the military, because of benefits... I'm like, you really think you're free? Take that fear out of every American's life equation and you'd really know what it's like to be free.

BTExpress likes this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Whitman had a solid point about how a lot of the world benefits from American medical breakthroughs that come about because we're paying full freight on costs. Part of moving to single payer (and it will happen someday, even if many of us aren't around to see it) has to be accounting for putting money back into R&D, and it can't just be Uncle Sam carrying the load for the rest of the world.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They think they're free because a bunch of people told them they're free a long time ago and so now they believe they're free.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

So you're saying people who can't afford health care shouldn't get it?

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

If you want Trudeau you are more than welcome to have him (not that the alternatives up here are much better)

YankeeFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.