1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Probably the biggest driver of that is increasingly bloated administrative costs. Too many people in management being paid truly exorbitant salaries.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

It seems to come up often, and it's a particular quirk of the system. Hospitals/providers have patients over a barrel much of the time. Some hospitals have insurance companies over a barrel as well, though to a lesser extent, though medicaid/medicare often have it over hospitals. Prices are raised most often as a pre-emptive tool in negotiating between hospitals and insurers.

Even if everyone questioned that, is doesn't mean the prices would go down, or the real prices anyway. The list price would almost assuredly go down if the hospital doesn't have to deal with an insurance company, but it's highly unlikely actual prices fall when the seller gains an advantage in negotiating (I can say a lot of bad things about insurance companies, but I'd bet they're better at negotiating with hospitals than individuals).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Dave Grohl really does do everything, doesn't he? Now he's saving buildings?

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So here is the reality. Most hospitals (more than half) lose money on patient care. To the extent that the vast majority of them generate net positive income, they make up the losses on charitable gifts, investing, parking fees, selling meals, etc.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Now do "The National Review."

7. Neutral Corner

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Yep, and in part that's because $645 bags of saline aren't really $645.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I have no idea what's been on the NR cover in recent months. The last one I saw was the Never Trump issue.

Only saw that one because I was at my parents' and my dad subscribed. Since he passed, I don't even see it when I visit home.

Does anyone ever talk about the NR cover?

10. Neutral Corner

Much of the loss on patient care is due to under or uninsured patients. It does not take many victims of a car crash with a TBI to lose a lot of money fast.

So if they are bargained down to $150, that's a victory, right?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't understand your point.

A proud, professed liberal publication has a liberal-leaning cover.

Knock me over with a feather?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

But they do cost that much. That is what you get when you try to centrally plan a huge part of the economy and you create a mess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.