1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you were responding to me and not MTM :)

I have three colleagues who you would classify as coffee snobs. Only the very best beans run through the lower digestive tract of a Giant Otter are suitable for their delicate palates.

A few years back, one of them sent an admin assistant to get him coffee, and he spit it out when he took the first sip, saying, "This tastes like horse piss!"

Naturally, my first question was...

QYFW likes this.
  2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

When people let their cell phones go so long that their voicemail boxes become full. Hate that, and hate having to wait on such people to finally delete messages from said mailbox, so that they can then receive new ones.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Text them

SpeedTchr likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

"When did Budweiser start making coffee?"

OscarMadison and SpeedTchr like this.
  5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

He's the kind of person who sends his admin. to fetch coffee for him.
    His snobbishness about coffee seems to be just one small component of the fact that he is a complete tool.

cranberry likes this.
  6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Oh, occasionally, I do. But why should I have to?

And, as far as the actual reason that I called, sometimes, I actually need, or want to, talk to someone. Not text.

I'm not someone who lives their life attached to their phone, and who can't possibly be without it in their hand at all times. I usually text for very specific, usually work-related, purposes.

Or else, if I don't really want to talk to that person -- which is why I think most people text, everyone, these days. In my opinion, it's a bad reason, and a bad habit to get into for that reason.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why should they have to check their messages for you? If it's that important you need to talk to them text them to call you, it's not that hard.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I find that very few phone conversations could not be more more efficiently handled by text.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

With regards to the voicemail, often times when I leave a voicemail, I'm asking a question or giving information to a person that they need. What irritates me is they see I called, phone me back and ask what I want or ask me a question that I answered in the voicemail. To me no voicemail means the call wasn't important and I might simply reply with a text. If there is a voicemail, it means someone needs to speak with me so I'll listen to the message so when I call them back I know WTF I'm talking about. It just feels like courtesy.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm one of those people. If I'm busy and can't take a call, I just call back as soon as I have a minute.
    I rarely check the message.

QYFW likes this.
  11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

People who start conversations just to argue a point that no one was arguing. Especially first thing on Monday morning. Oh, you think the U.S. should be on the metric system? And this thesis was apropos of what? I'm all for arguing points that come up naturally in conversations -- or hell, posting those things to message boards, where people can choose to respond or engage if they so choose. But don't come at me to argue about something no one was arguing about just so you can roll out some thesis you've been brain thundering in your spare time.

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

When I ask for unsweetened tea and get sweet. It goes beyond irk, really. Nothing repulses me more than expecting that wonderful herbal drink, only to get a taste of sugar water. Disgusting.

I went to Wendy's tonight and ordered unsweetened tea, only to be given sweet. Explained to the girl who got the drink the first time that I ordered unsweetened, and she gave me another cup of sweetened. I dumped both cups out into a trash can and waved with a big smile on my way out the door. I'm ashamed of my pettiness now, but I was boiling mad.

OscarMadison and SpeedTchr like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted