1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Bumgarner was close to it in '14, but it's indeed rare.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Red Sox apparently have picked up 3B Eduardo Nunez from San Francisco. He was pulled in the middle of the game with hugs all around.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Looks like the Sox gave SF pitching prospects in return. If it's true, I hope they flip at least one of them (along with another piece) to pick up an outfielder. Honestly the Giants could do with an outfielder more than they need pitching and they need bullpen and a back-end starting help.

Reports: Red Sox acquire 3B Nunez from Giants

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Giants never prioritize the outfield and they do fine with it normally. In the 10 years since Bonds retired, they have had 10 different opening day left fielders. On all three championship teams, the postseason starter was a fill-in when their other plans fell apart.

I'd much rather they find pitching depth. Bumgarner is the only known quantity among all starters in the organization. (Cueto possibly, if he isn't traded and doesn't opt out.)

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Psssst.
    Dear Cleveland. Everybody knows you have a losing streak in you. You're Cleveland for crying out loud.
    Go ahead and start it now if you would be so kind.
    Sincerely.
    Royals Fans Everywhere.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The problem is, with the way KC has been this year, if it's won seven in a row that means now it is due for a five-game losing streak.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Problem for the Royals is they're maxing out their talent right now. The Indians have played well below their abilities. We'll see, though.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You shut your whorish mouth.
    :)

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Is KC done picking up players by the deadline?
    I heard Moore was at least kicking the tires on Gray, but that was pre-Cahill, etc, etc......

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They could be done. A solid starter and two bullpen arms all filled big needs.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the Cubs haven't locked in a veteran catcher yet, either Avila or Lucroy. It's considered a fait accompli here. I don't know what else they have to trade off, though Theo gets testy when people bring that up.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

What for? I don't know their backup situation, but Contreras has been excellent.

Draft saved Draft deleted