1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Price v. Eck

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jul 25, 2017.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I didn't take it that way, either. But I am saying that Price was an asshole whether Eck had an HoF career or flamed out in rookie ball.

On the other end, I think the flame-throwers of yesteryear would have a tougher time matching their feats today than the one-pitch killers. The Carlton slider, the Sutter split-finger, the Randy Jones change-up at its best ... they get anyone out in any era.

Also, yesterday's power pitchers had the added advantage of being able to lay a batter on his ass with impudence.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You suggested Eck was being a bully.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You are responding to an imaginary post.

4. CD Boogie

You are exhausting and boring.

5. Dick Whitman

I didn't write what you attributed to me. Don't blame me for that. Read gooder next time.

6. CD Boogie

Nope; and my response didn't go that direction until ya sidetracked it either. Stay on point, counselor.

7. Dick Whitman

I didn't say Eck was being a bully. Read it again, Commodore.

8. CD Boogie

I concede that point, ban hammer. Now return to our regular programming

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

There are worse nicknames than Ban Hammer. Has a certain "King Slayer" vibe to it.

10. CD Boogie

EDIT: ban hammered. He's the nail, not the hammer

TyWebb likes this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I don't get making comparisons across eras. In the 50's smoking was portrayed as "natural and healthy". In the 70's we were told drink as much milk and eat as much steak as we could. Asking players from those eras to compete with those who have ice chambers, regimented diets, and daily massages is simply ridiculous. When you disparage those from before, you need to think about what your life would have been then, not how it is now.

12. I'd side with Eck on this one, but - as noted - earlier - he was NO choir boy as player, and played the villain well as a closer.

Draft saved Draft deleted