1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I remember from the DVD extras that problem was that the shark malfunctioned quite a bit and that limited Spielberg's use "Bruce," as he was known. He adjusted and you end up not seeing the shark for the first time until like 45 minutes into the film.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've swum with some larger species of sharks (nothing close to a White), but they mostly stayed well below where I was. I was in Thailand and we hired a local longboat to take us around to some good dive/snorkeling spots. He pretty much just let us jump in and swim until we were ready to move to a new area.

Oddly, when we first saw the sharks, it never scared me. They barely paid us any attention and were just cruising around 15-20 feet below us. It was fascinating to watch, but not the least bit scary. If they'd been coming closer, I'm sure I'd have gotten more nervous.

3. Same experience here - in the Carribbean - swimming with Nurse sharks.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Caught Deepwater Horizon on Netflix. Peter Berg has to be the most talented, smartest s----- director working today.

The first part is an intriguing, understated drama about the office politics of running an oil rig. The second is wall-to-wall explosions and wailing alarms. Bonus awfulness points for the formerly strong women engineer character who turns into a shrieking, sobbing mess.

I loved Friday Night Lights and one day, God willing, Berg will make another good film all the way through.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Watched "The Quiet Man," a 65-year-old movie that stands up well. Somehow, it didn't seem like an old movie, despite the tameness of the story.

heyabbott likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Big Sick

Apatow's movie that tells stories about love, life, and immigrant families except instead of the Jewish assimilation to America it's a Pakistani/American story.

Pretty good flick. There's a really sly joke about Malala during an early dinner scene that is so wrong and so funny. The very last image of Kazan smiling just kills.

Pretty good flick by and large. Nanjiani/Kazan were a decent rom-com couple. Ray Romano was so-so. Holly Hunter was a little bit better.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Haven't watched a movie in a theater in a long time, but I definitely will be going to this.

I Should Coco and HC like this.
  8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'm in.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

A great movie. It's perfect.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

One of my great shames has ended, I finally saw "The Big Lebowski."

Loved it. It was so bizarrely entertaining.

HC likes this.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Was it everything you thought it would be?

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It was. I was worried it wouldn't live up to the hype, as sometimes is the case when I finally see a movie well after its release, but it did.

The Dude was everything he was built up to be.

HC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted