1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Chance U

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

No arrests for it at the JUCO level so it's not really Poin, otherwise there was a certain admissions officer at a certain JUCO many years ago who might have qualified.

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Binge watched Season 2 in the last few days. I love the series (I just love watching things like this and Hard Knocks that give us a glimpse into the program), but it's incredibly frustrating to watch. These kids (yes, I know they all say they're grown ass men, but they're still 18 and 19) just can't get it in their thick skulls that the coaches and Miss Wagner are there to help them. Just a total lack of respect for their coaches, for their teachers and for their academic counselor.

Without spoiling it too much, I came away with renewed hope for De'Andre Johnson (FSU QB who punched the girl). He seems to be a genuine leader, a positive person at all times. While the other guys were bitching and moaning, he was trying to keep them positive and focused on the end goal. Too bad he's going play for Lane Kiffin.

And speaking of Poin Files: JUCO division, my wife watched a few episodes with me and she's convinced that Miss Wagner was boning a few of the players.

ChrisLong likes this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm three episodes in. I think they do a really good job of balancing the view of the players. I totally get @StaggerLee and the frustration of wanting these guys to pull their heads out of their asses... but then you see where some of these guys are coming from and realize there's a really good reason why they're a mess.

StaggerLee likes this.
  4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'm two episodes in, but I was really thrown off by how cavalier they were at the start with some of the reasons these guys were kicked off their prior teams. I think I remember one coach saying something like "he had a little incident with a female student." Like these guys haven't had people covering for them enough.

I do appreciate that they touched on whether or not to even let De'Andre play for them after punching that girl, and giving the whole story, in the second episode, but I didn't think they justified their reasoning for bringing him on well at all. Basically, "this is America and people get second chances."

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I watched the first two last night.
    -- Why didn't anybody ask the head coach what he would have done if his daughter was the one De'Andre punched?
    -- The guy from Penn State came off as really remorseful at the beginning, talking about his younger siblings and what they found in a google search of him. Then he turned into a big turd in his dealings with Brittany and his roommate, the smart kid from Georgia.
    -- Running back (#4) had an unimaginable upbringing. Hope he overcomes the concussion.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

As a Georgia alum, I took a certain bit of pride that Chauncey Rivers was only kicked off for weed and appears to be one of the level-headed guys on the EMCC team.

I know, I know. Those are shallow waters he's swimming in. But when I see him still decked out in Georgia gear, I can't help but think "At least he didn't punch a girl or commit armed robbery."

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I was pretty impressed with Rivers. Maybe he's swimming in shallow waters, but he seems like a reasonably sharp dude. And he's a monster on the field.

8. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Count me in liking rivers as well and having to look up what he did to end up at emcc since he apparently didn't fail out of Georgia

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'm also interested in seeing more about Dakota Allen. Like Wagner said, I never would have guessed he had been busted for armed burglary. He's another guy who seemingly has a good head on his shoulders and is doing what he has to to move on from EMCC.

But, I'm only two episodes in. So I could be way off.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

On the flip side, it's a good thing Kam Carter got his scholarship before the show aired, because he comes off as an absolute nightmare to coach. All the talent in the world, but as lazy as anyone I've ever seen. Won't go to class. Won't do his work. Won't get to meetings on time. Won't listen to his position coach.

From where I'm standing, Johnson and Allen are by far the two best leaders on the team. They both realize that college can be used for gains other than showcasing your football talent.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Seen a lot of Pitt fans bitching about how Carter comes off in this show. I haven't watched yet so I'll reserve comment.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

My earlier point during season 1 stands: It's called "Last Chance U" but some of these turds act as entitled as if they were still at the school that they washed out of in the first place. If you don't go to class, fuck around and loaf at East Miss, that's it. End of the line. But some of them don't realize the whole point of where they are and why it's the title of the series.

Draft saved Draft deleted