1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Game of Thrones, Season 7

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Justin_Rice, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I did like the elements you mentioned. The fire embers were definitely a cool touch.

Euron is definitely a change of pace. I guess you could argue that he's a natural progression from Ramsay's more flamboyant elements. Euron just seems like a much bigger departure, and it's jarring to me. To each his own, of course.

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

When watching the first episode, I paused it to check out Euron's front of his ship. I was trying to figure out what the hell the big jaws of life thing was. Seeing it in action in the second episode was very satisfying. They definitely know how to make a battleship.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I am surprised at just how big a part of the overall plot he seems to be playing going forward. He just arrived last season and he is as integral as characters who have been here since Season 1. It wasn't long ago that I was wondering "what the hell is the name of the boat guy from the islands who was a dick to Theon and his sister?"

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Something else I liked about this episode:

The first episode was very much setting up the chess table for the big three - Cersei, Dany and Jon. The second episode showed the first move followed by a crushing counter.

It finally actually feels like a "game" now, if that makes sense. Lines are clearly drawn. Actions have reactions, sometimes immediately and with fatal results. And the effects of those moves will be felt going forward. The stakes feel a little more real than they have in the past, when it often felt to me like characters were just spinning around each other.

Oh, and there was no Bran. I so don't care about Bran.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

And after Jaime told Cersi they had very few allies, I thought the Lannisters were going to go quickly. Silly me.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Maybe Tyrion shouldn't have assumed that a lifetime of being quick-witted, drinking and whoring didn't make him an unassailable genius.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    HC likes this.
  7. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I may have enjoyed that episode more than anything since Hardhomme.

Spartan Squad and RickStain like this.
  8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Once again doing things the right way is not paying off. Time to get the dragons out.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Also, can we assume there are still enough boats to get the Dothraki off of Dragonstone?

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Little eerie to hear Tyrion say Bronns line and then see Bronns riding behind Jamie. Now Jamie knows his brother is innocent. Does it change his end game? Will he tell anyone?

Took me a while to realize Cerseis will use High Gardens gold to square with the iron bank. Clever and well done but does it matter? Dothraki and unsullied don't need gold the way Stannis army did....

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Weren't the unsullied diminished in the battle either storming the wall or on the ships? Not sure how many she has left there plus the whole plan hinged on using Dornish and Tyrell forces. So we'll see. The dragons will certainly need to be deployed now to take out Euron's boat and the Lanister forces.

Regardless, what a fun episode. The meeting between Daeny and Jon was great and filled with the tension you'd expect. The introductions were classic. Daeny has 50 titles while Ser Davos nearly forgets to call Jon the King of the North. And it was a little thing, but I wonder what is being set up by referencing the fact Jon was stabbed in the chest. He didn't want too much to be said about it but Daeny took notice.

Finally, will the King Slayer soon be adding queen to his title?

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted