1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Richmond (Va.) Times-Dispatch

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike Szvetitz, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

The Richmond Times-Dispatch is looking for a sports editor.

This is a job I held for a little more than 2.5 years, and followed in some giant footsteps.

We're looking for experience, leadership, passion and vision.

If you're interested in the position, please send a cover letter and resume to me at mszvetitz@timesdispatch.com.

Thanks,
    MIKE SZVETITZ
    Managing Editor
    Richmond Time-Dispatch

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My old job!! (and I'll just assume I was one of the giant footsteps and don't anyone ruin my fantasy)

I know nothing about the company since it was sold so I'm no help there. But I do know this: Great city, great city. Everyone says it is close to DC and the beach but Richmond has selling points of its own. Raised a family there and would do it again. Great talent at the paper still, extremely strong leadership and Mike's promotion to ME is another huge positive.

Someone is going to end up with an extremely good job here. A lot of quality work has been done in Richmond in recent years and there's more that can be done.

3. AndrettiSJ

AndrettiSJ Member

What is the salary range for this job?

4. JBondurant804

JBondurant804 Member

I'm a few months removed from BH Media, but it seems like they've followed in the footsteps of other newspaper companies over the last year or two in making personnel shifts and layoffs recently. But from what I can tell the rest of the sports staff is in tact. A handful of full-time reporters and four part-time high school clerks. Don't have a lot to say about corporate. Virginia Tech, U.Va., VCU basketball, Redskins (Training camp is in Richmond) seem like the main selling points. Then you've got University of Richmond, James Madison University, then high schools, D-II Virginia State and Virginia Union, D-III Randolph-Macon and Hampden-Sydney. Richard Bland College in Petersburg has had one of the top men's basketball programs in D-II JuCo of the last couple years. They won an NJCAA title in 2015. Can't forget about the Richmond Flying Squirrels (AA-SF Giants), the Richmond Kickers (USL-DC United), and the two NASCAR weekends a year. Richmond also is one of America's top destinations for runners with the Monument Avenue 10K and the Richmond Marathon drawing thousands each spring and fall along with events like Dominion River Rock for the outdoor enthusiasts. I could go on and on. This is a great place to be.

5. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

TD also does a fine job of covering the Champions Tour Dominion Charity Classic and LPGA's Kingsmill Championship, along with other local golf. If anybody needs any info on the city, hit me. This is a fantastic place to live.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Agreed. I only draw the occasional freelance paycheck from the TD, but Richmond is awesome.

Also, it makes me feel very old that Richard Bland is a hoops powerhouse. They didn't even have sports when I was starting out, although I spent plenty of time in their gym for the private school hoops championships.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Even better. That horrible rubber floor is gone.

Bud_Bundy likes this.
  9. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

You're either older than me, or younger, and I'm old. I grew up in Hopewell, and remember very well Richard Bland hoops in the 1970s and 80s. But then it went away for a long time, coming back as the powerhouse of today a few years ago...

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Bumped to the top... Steve's pipeline (OK, OK, it's Mike Szvetitz's Twitter!!) reports Mike Phillips is your new SE.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Strong hire.

Draft saved Draft deleted