1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running off-season CFB thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 6, 2017.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always wondered if football jerseys and pads were as cumbersome as they were back in the day, players would be safer. Harder to get a head shot when your pads - and the other guy's - go up past your earhole.
    [​IMG]

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The near-disappearance of old-style Brillo-pad artificial turf has meant the end of elbow pads.

I've heard part of the rationale for the downsizing of shoulder pads has been improvements in neck safety -- when players' heads got hit against the old bulky shoulder pads, more strain is put on the neck structure.

Same goes for the disappearance of the rhino rolls and pillow-back headrests of the 1970s and early 80s. They were supposed to protect the neck but ended up possibly causing more injuries.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Only good of the 1977 Hogs-Horns was watching the Little-Erxleben kicking showdown. YouTube it. Actually quite good.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You've reminded me of the first time (I think it was in 2000) Nick Saban talked to us at a press conference about reheating day-old coffee and grabbing a Little Debbie® Oatmeal Creme Pie or two to enjoy after fetching the newspaper from his driveway each morning. Not sure of how to spell the name, I typed in something along the lines of LilDebbie.com and landed on a page that I was certain would get me called up to HR.

Hermes and ChrisLong like this.
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The significance is that it was on ESPN and they don't have to pay CBS for the rights.

Like when "Baseball Tonight" does "Top 10 Catches of All-Time," it's actually "Top 10 Catches We Have Free Footage Of."

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

During Kentucky's day, they showed the regular-season win against UNC (the Malik Monk explosion game), and that was originally CBS. And South Carolina showed its tournament win over Duke.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Slightly off-topic, but tangential re: padding: I've noticed you never see catchers at any level wearing "knee savers" any more. I'm guessing there's research that showed they were ineffective or created some other unintended side effect?

10. dixiehack

PAC-12 experimenting with chopping off five minutes of halftime.

Dr. Saturday

11. dixiehack

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted