1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Open running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jul 12, 2017.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, that third place probably gets Li into each of the next four majors and I'm guessing he'll cash a nice check for the weekend and get to the airport before the rush. All in a day's work.

I thought all the holes were measures in 'royales' because of the metric system.

Somewhere in heaven, Seve looks down and says, "Fuck that, I would have made a 4 out of the driving range!"

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Damn right I do, because the rules say anyone can call out a cheater. Don't cheat and you don't have to worry if anyone's watching. Now if you'll quit bothering me, I need to go see if Spieth has finished the 13th hole yet.

3. How anyone NOT like Spieth?

http://nypost.com/2017/07/23/its-crushing-jordan-spieths-run-made-his-victims-family-cry/

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

To have that kind of graciousness in victory (and defeat, per last year's Masters) at that age is remarkable.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'm sending three high school football players and a locker to your job today. Should feel like old times.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How does that make you feel to call out a "cheater"? Does it make your week to be able to tell your buddies Bartholomew and Montgomery about it?

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think the problem is that we all define "cheating" differently. Like, I think we'd all agree that if rules officials missed a golfer using his toe wedge, and somebody called it in, that would be totally fine and just. The cheater should be punished, and good on the person who called him in.

It's when we get into golf's weirder or more subtle rules that the divide crops up. When someone replaces their ball a couple of millimetres from their original mark? A little hazy. When it costs someone like Lexi Thompson a tournament? Wolves come out.

I don't think the problem is calling in violations. I think the problem is that we don't agree on what is a serious violation and what isn't.

EDIT TO ADD that this might be the worst thing I've ever written, sentence wise. I was going to have a big writing day, but then I posted this and now I'm disheartened and going to nap and Internet browse for the rest of the day. Thanks, sj.com.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Gets him a fist bump from Tristan and Hunter as well.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Let's cut this crap about Lexi Thompson. It was a lot more than a couple of millimeters. It was the width of the entire ball and that's more than enough to avoid a spike mark or some other blemish on the green. That ruling and the ensuing fiasco was on her.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You also notice that when one of these young guys (Spieth, Fowler, Day, Thomas, Johnson, etc.) win a tournament, usually several of them wait around and are at the 18th green to congratulate the winner. I don't ever remember Phil or Tiger hanging around to congratulate the other unless they were in the final group together.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, definitely saw Fowler there yesterday and I know I've seen him before doing that at other tournaments. I'm not a hard core golf fan and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong about this, but it really seems like Rickie is one of the good guys and is well liked by the other players.

Draft saved Draft deleted