1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Interesting trailer. They appear to be giving Thor more of a "Guardians of the Galaxy" feel, for better or worse. I love Hemsworth as Thor, but neither of the solo films have done much for me. They haven't been bad, just not all that memorable. Thor just seems to work better as part of the Avengers than as a lead. Perhaps that's why he's "getting a team together." :rolleyes:

I haven't loved the previous Thor films, but oddly, the new tact they appear to be taking leaves me thinking, "That's not what a Thor movie should look like." I have low expectations for this.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

From most reports, they're gonna fuck around for half the movie, or more, on the gripping suspense of whether Superman is still "dead" or not (let me give you a hint, he's not) and then probably a half-hour or so on fake-ass hand-wringing over whether the resurrected Supes has gone to the dark side or not. Geeeeee whiz, that'll be a hard one to figure out.

I suppose probably the movie division pays no attention whatever to what happens to the teevee variations of the franchise, but you'd think they'd have taken at least some notice to the overwhelmingly positive response to the appearance of Tyler Hoechlin on 'Supergirl' as a powerful, positive, Christopher Reeve-style Superman.

And then just say, "ahh it was fucking stupid to rehash the 1990s 'Death of Superman' story arc," and just ditch it in the first 15 minutes of the movie: "Superman was in a coma and Batman and WW together figured out how to revive him. So he's back."

Essentially how Star Trek got rid of the "Death" of Kirk at the end of "Into Darkness." (Maybe a transfusion of Amazon blood revives Supes.)

You're not going to leave this guy dead, so quit fucking around and get him back into action.

3. The JL trailer looks good, but I'm not optimistic. .... WW looks like she'll be carrying the DC franchise and if she's not a getting a lot of JL screen time, I don't know...
    I am not a big fan of Aquaman. Never was and not sure about Cyborg. ... Flash looks like a funny character.
    I thought the villain was Steppenwolf.

The trailer takes place after the death of Superman, is that right? And there is supposed to be a Death of Superman movie forthcoming?

4. Not a big Thor fan, but I am more and more excited by Ragnarok with each trailer. It looks like so much fun!

Also ... Stranger Things Season 2 trailer ... Awesome!

5. Starman

Batman v. Superman was the "Death of Superman" movie, as if the world needed another rehash of that predictable horseshit.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Superman was "killed" in Batman v. Superman, and it was also referenced in Suicide Squad.

Steppenwolf is the villain in Justice League. I'd never heard of the character until that was announced, but I looked him up. In the comics, he led an army attacking the Earth in the name of Darkseid. I'm guessing we'll see some reference or brief appearance by Darkseid, but no more.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is absolutely more of a Guardians feel, which seems to be an attempt to find a broader audience after an underwhelming Thor sequel.

Just wait until you see the Thor bit in the Avengers: Infinity War trailer. I saw the leaked one from Comic Con.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree this movie got Peter Parker to the 'T'. Also agree with you on the suit and bringing out his eye pieces for expression and fo someone to talk to - since that's the Spidey we all know from the comics. So, it worked and I'm sure it'll grow on me.

As for all of the Thor talk - Hemsworth is great as Thor and I'm loving this new look in the trailers. I'd like to see a full powered Thor in this one - the same who in the solo movies took out the frost giants and the Destroyer solo!
    Bring on the space adventures and 'Guardians' tone.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I loved this show so hard and am super excited to see it come back. Trailer was fantastic. Love the use of Thriller.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So, so good.

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

There will be another Death of Superman movie made, but it's going to be an animated movie. They already did it once, but they're diving back into it again.

12. Starman

How many times are they going to keep going back to this fucking stupid storyline, which bombs every time they try it?

It pretty much shitcanned the print comics industry in the 1990s and it pretty much shitcanned the DCEU movie universe in 2015. At some point you have to stop fucking the chicken.

Draft saved Draft deleted