1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Open running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jul 12, 2017.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If I wanted to see golfers bash it anywhere without any thought of trouble, I can watch that on any PGA Tour telecast throughout the year. That's not what the majors are supposed to be; they're supposed to be a more stringent test of your abilities, and I couldn't give a damn about what level of television entertainment it provides. Scottsdale's short par 4 has water if you hit it off line. Augusta's short 4 has a thin sliver of a green wedged between severe slopes and it's easy to make bogey from 40 yards away. The fifth at Birkdale has no such threat unless a player hits it 60 yards short of his intended target. Short 4s are fine as long as the risk matches the reward.

cranberry likes this.
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You do know that's only one hole right?.....Theres 17 other holes out there.

cranberry likes this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We set up a driveable par 4 at our State Open, about 260. Players were hitting 3 wood into it, but the catch was that there was high heather surrounding the entire green, and a large bunker right in front, so you couldn't hit something where it would land and roll to the flag. If you wanted to go for it, you had to be able to hit something that would land on the green and stop. Several two-putt birdies, but a lot of guys were laying up to a number and going at it that way. One of the guys in the final group lost his drive to the right and had such a terrible lie that his only play was to hack at it with an awkward stance and knock it 10 feet closer to the green. He ended up making triple and it knocked him out of contention. Still played as the second easiest hole on the course, just because it was pretty easy to make par, but it bit some people who tried to go for broke and try for eagle.

4. We get it.
    You've been on the bandwagon for a while. Early on. We get it. ;).

MileHigh likes this.
  5. Nice round by Li. Doubt 6-under holds up to win.
    Spieth is having MAJOR issues putting. Wow.
    It's going to be a very long day for him.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Took all of four holes for this to get interesting. Three-shot leads are nothing.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Well, there's one good thing about Grace's 62; I don't have to care about Haotong Li's place in history.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't think the name matters all that much. Rory could have shot a 61 yesterday and you wouldn't have been happy.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

We will not be confusing this Sunday at the Open with Stinson/Mickelson, but it's still quite tasty. I like Spieth, but am rooting for Kuchar.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My Leishman pick looked brutal at about noon on Friday when he was about to miss the cut. Then goes 66-65 and will probably record a backdoor top 5.

11. Spieth is reminiscent of Mickelson at Winged Foot. He's been terrible off the tee for days and today his putting is ... ... Off.

Love to see Rory somehow go 3-under over the last 3/4 holes and make it interesting.

12. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Because you'd rather care about Grace's? Sounds kind of racist.

Draft saved Draft deleted