1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Eclipse of 2017

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jul 22, 2017.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just did a search for the night before the eclipse in Casper, Wyoming -- right in the middle of the path of totality:

Baymont Inn & Suites: $1,500
    1st Interstate Motel: $1,159

Cheyenne, about 90 minutes south of the path:

Quality Inn: $699

Happy to have my $120 room per night on Saturday and Sunday.

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I'll get about 2 minutes of totality from my back deck, but, dammit, I want the full 2:40 or whatever, so maybe we'll stay the night at the mother-in-law's 40 minutes north in the city known as the origin of the Pony Express and where Jesse James was assassinated by the coward Robert Ford. Things are already crazy there, though, in the lead-up.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Roger Waters plays on July 20 in Columbus, Ohio, and July 22 in Chicago.

Roger Waters

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'll be a state away from the totality zone, but there's no quick way for me to get there and besides, I will probably have to work. I'll just wait until the next one, which I'll be right in the path of.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You guys should be renting out one house or the other for a few grand.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Just looked up where it will cross the west coast and sadly it will be to big of a hassle to get up to Oregon. Technically it's a days drive from where I am but that's if I want to spend more than 12 hours in a car.

I'll have to settle for a partial eclipse.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'll see 99.5 percent of totality. Should be fun. Never seen an eclipse before.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Partial here, and I'm not traveling for it. I might drive downtown and park on the top floor of a parking deck or something to watch... maybe.

I hear that Clemson University is selling parking places.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

NASA has a lot of good info on their website. I'll be in the 60-70 percent range. Still sounds pretty cool.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I remember the eclipse of July 1963. I was 4 3/4 years old and i wanted to see the sun get covered up. We were in the path to get about 85% totality for about two minutes.

My mom was frantic I was gonna burn my eyeballs out staring at it so she ordered me down to the basement. I do remember it got very dark.

My dad made one of the cardboard cutout things and called me up to see it for 30 seconds or so. He projected the image on the white cardboard.

It looked pretty much like a crescent moon. I looked up straight at it for a few seconds and my mom screamed, "don't look, don't look."

I looked anyway. My eyes survived.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Will not have a total eclipse in Virginia, but we'll be smack in the middle of a qualifier for the U.S. Mid-Am that day. Photog me is pretty stoked about the possibilities of really cool lighting.

expendable, Batman and Jake_Taylor like this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted