1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40 Under 40: Sports Media Talents

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Jul 18, 2017.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

justgladtobehere likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Two people from pro wrestling? Tony Romo No. 4 when he's done jack? 40 people under 40 but some of the slots have more than one person? Jay Cutler just missed? Tim Tebow? What the hell is this list

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's definitely subjective, so it's legit for you to disagree with the choices. I don't find the Romo thing that nuts, at least. He was chosen to replace Phil Simms as the top color analyst on CBS. He was a high-profile player and he stepped into an "all eyes on him" job right away. I think the fact that nobody knows what to expect from him yet, really makes him relevant right now. He's not slipping onto one of the backup broadcast pairings to prove himself. They threw him right into the spotlight.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Rovell is under 40? I'm stunned. He was at ESPN (the first time) when I was in college.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Born in 1978 so he gets in under the wire.

Born the year I graduated from college, so I'm waiting for the 60 over 60 list to be pissed about not making one of these!

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The one that got me for some reason (because maybe it's just me) was Jesse Palmer. I figured he had to at least be in his mid 40s.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I get these are inherently subjective which is why so many ESPNers didn't bother me. I wouldn't even mind Romo being on the list if he wasn't in the top 10 and had a note saying he isn't actually proven.

Now objectivity saying you are highlighting 40 people and you give me closer to 60 is kind of cheating.

8. Sly

Sly Active Member

Gotta tell you. Those two mooks who drink a gallon of milk and post themselves throwing up on five different social media platforms? The world is their oyster. Future of sports media.

What a fucking joke of a list.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Great list or crappy list, I give huge congrats to the website for putting it all on ONE PAGE.

Big Circus, Batman, YankeeFan and 3 others like this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I like the Barstool guys, but their schtick is gonna age even worse than Simmons'. Btw, I've always hated these age-specific lists. Granta and The New Yorker do them for fiction authors, too. Why use age 40? So arbitrary. Zach Lowe, for instance, turns 40 this year, so he's only under 40 right now.

I just picture a stupid exercise of this guy throwing names at a wall, then having to verify these people's ages. I mean, it's not exactly common knowledge how old sports writers are. And many of them came to the game later than others.

Just a dumb, pointless exercise.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That list looks to have about 60 people, but what do i know?

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Where is Graham Bensinger??

Draft saved Draft deleted