1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that irk you......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Apr 20, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

towns that don't fix their parks. specifically, their tennis courts. I have courts right near my place, walking distance, and have been trying to get my daughter into playing. There are eight or nine courts there, half of which don't have nets, and only one of which doesn't have major cracks that could easily result in a broken ankle. Fixing that shit is easy, but they don't do it. Of course they'll spend $25K or whatever it costs to put off fireworks that last 10 minutes, all while having to pay overtime to town workers and cops But an easy fix on a tennis court can't get done. That's bullshit.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

The red eye is never the right option.

Air Canada now offers a daytime flight to London. It used to be all overnights, and you'd be fucked when you'd land, early in the morning London time, having not slept. Now you can get up early, leave Toronto at 8:40 am, work and watch movies for seven hours, arrive in London at 8:40 pm that day, and go to bed that night. Presto, no jet lag. I'll never fly overnight again.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

One crappy thing about living in the Deep South is the lack of public swimming pools. Lots of towns and cities closed them up decades ago rather than submit to integration and once they're gone it is hard to find momentum to open new ones. Swimming pools were the best part of summer in Tennessee, but God forbid the poors and working stiffs get to go for dip down here.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Many public pools have also closed due to liability concerns.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also big maintenance cost

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Plus Baby Ruth bars.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It's still good.

Vombatus likes this.
  8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Magicians/illusionists, except for Penn & Teller. Worst form of entertainment after ventriloquism.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm not thrilled with Mods editing and/or deleting my posts, and my comment is absolutely NOT a reference to SJ and our Mods here, who let most everything go with some exceptions.

I'm on some other sites, and there seems to be a Puritan involved, monitoring one site practically minute by minute through most waking hours. Some life that is.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Think twice next time before posting action shots from the Priapolympics on the Sisters of Divine Serenity board, bubs.

jr/shotglass, Batman and Vombatus like this.
  11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My kids finally sat and watched a ballgame with me the other day. Nats vs. Cubs. We turned the game on as they were coming back from commercial and the Presidents were racing. Both kids were belly laughing at that and they wanted to stay with the game.

OscarMadison and Jake_Taylor like this.
  12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Overmoderation.
    The guy in the grocery aisle who starts setting up before you've even paid. Wait your turn.
    People who self-identify with a town they last lived in when they were 12.

Draft saved Draft deleted