1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox Sports cuts web writing staff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Jun 26, 2017.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Any other network establishing a general sports website seems in hindsight to be a fool's errand. ESPN was the only site to read in the late '90's. I still type in 'espn.go.com.' There wasn't another brand you associated with sports in general like ESPN. Nobody else was producing enough sports content to also fill up a website while promoting its main line of business.

Since then, hyperfocused sites and blogs/podcasts seem to have been the only sites to succeed.

2. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Feldman and Mandel talk about their futures/contracts here, in case anyone is interested:

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I think that's s bit extreme. There will always be people writing about government and sports. They are passions and people have proven time and again that they will follow their passions for peanuts.

The freelance advice is spot on. I quit full time sports writing four years ago, but still cover the NFL seasonally and write occasional sports features or columns when a topic genuinely interests me. Was a tough transition, but I don't regret it for a minute

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They'll land on their feet. Nationally known writers almost always do.

5. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

I would guess the market will be much better for Feldman who can both break news and write features than it will be for Mandel. We'll see. There's seemingly a glut of former national writers now on the market between ESPN, SI, B/R and now FoxSports layoffs.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think big-time game coverage for freelancers will be a struggle, but smaller games and events will continue to need help. Our freelance help wanted board has mirrored that in recent years.

But yes, sports features that no one else has should always find a market. Regional/city magazines are especially good for those and the money is usually decent.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree. He has more cachet and connections with coaches.

I'm actually kind of surprised Fox let him go. You can build stuff around him. He's got a pretty public rep.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Ghost-written Colin Cowherd hot takes, on video, preceded by a commercial.

Sounds fucking scintillating.

Lugnuts, dixiehack and Lt.Drebin like this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I just went to that POS site.

Jamie Horowitz = Phil Jackson

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Wow. I hadn't been on Fox Sports' website in years. It's a wall of Colin Cowherd's face.

Alma likes this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Me neither. Wall of videos. Went to an individual sport's page and it was the same thing. I got the shakes for a moment, trying to find something to READ. Then I just X'd out and went on with my day. It will be more years until I go back.

Lugnuts likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted