1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going to the drive-in movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Haven't been to a Drive-In movie in close to 2o years. Took a girl there for a date - did not know they were all double features. It was 1-2 a.m. when we go out.
    Don't remember the movies, one was "Dave."

Most of the drive ins near me have closed, because they can't afford the costs to change formats. There might be four or five drive ins left in the state.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I'm not sure my parents and our cousins knew what it was about. Or they figured we'd be asleep in the back of the van by the time it started playing.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I can remember sleeping over at a friend's house and watching "Porky's" through his bedroom window playing at the Mustang across the road. We both knew we were doing something illicit. I don't think either of us knew what to make of the ten-foot mounds of pubic hair during the shower scene.

dixiehack and Dick Whitman like this.
  4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My first date as a driver was to a drive-in movie back in summer of 1974. Mom let me use the family station wagon (Chevy Kingswood Estate) and I brought my date to see the original Stepford Wives.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That '80s pubic hair looked like an overgrown chia pet.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I saw "Deep Throat" at the drive-in, way back when.
    Some of those scenes weren't much different from "Godzilla" on the jumbo screen.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

There was a drive-in right near the state line that was called, in fact, the State Line Drive-In. It turned to X-rated movies late in its existence.

There was many a car of teen-age boys that would pull into the adjoining neighborhood with a view of the screen.

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

A cemetery expanded across the street where a drive-in once stood in our town. This was long before Lion King and the Circle of Life.

9. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Never been to a drive-in, but my wife and I for our 10-year anniversary are spending a few nights at a B&B in Blue Ridge, Ga., and there's an old drive-in that'll be showing a double feature of Despicable Me 3 and Transformers.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Hope you did the popcorn trick.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Something else having to do with pink was showing when I last went there...

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

There were a few drive ins around the edge if the city I grew up in. Slowly started losing to the needs of expanding suburbs.

Last one closed about 15 years ago, every Summer long weekend tbey would do the dusk to dawn thing that was loads of fun.

My parents lived the drive in. I remember seeing MASH and Smoky and the Bandit on tbe big screen.

Draft saved Draft deleted