1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McEnroe Serena Sally

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Buzz thinks he's Bolaño with his 91-word sentence.

In his case the corporate offices of Reddit, in the Union Square area of San Francisco, which look oddly unfinished—as if to say, Why be bothered with such trivialities in the hip high-tech culture?—twentysomething savants engrossed by their computer screen with heads slightly hunched, the way people used to look when they were engrossed by books, searching for the next Pied Piperian breakthrough and likely finding it before lunch is served on the second floor from a line of stainless-steel buffet trays winking and nodding with nutritious options.

2. Songbird

Cute little love story once Buzz kept sentence lengths to a minimum.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

When whoever this player is skips a couple weeks worth of competition, as top tennis players often do, maybe it makes more sense.

Basketball players run 2.5 miles regularly per night.

Westbrook played 86 games this year. That's 205 miles - plus heavy physical contact.

In 2015, Williams had a 53-3 record. That's 168 miles - assuming each match was 3 miles.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

WTF. Either write fiction or personal essays or get to the fucking point.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Holy shit, that's horrendous!

7. Songbird

The rest of the story is an easy read.

As for that sentence, I've read it 10 times and I don't understand it.

Seems there's a connecting word missing. The commas and m-dash throws me off.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

There is absolutely not a goddamn chance a female tennis player runs 3 miles in the course of a match.

Honestly, tennis players being in good physical condition is a fairly recent phenomenon. There have been plenty of players who suddenly became dominant simply because they started working out.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's a tedious story, how they met. It read tedious and boilerplate.

10. Songbird

It's a love story, Alma. A love story takes time to unfold.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Nah. I just adore Steffi. Always have.

CD Boogie likes this.
  12. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Do people like Buzz's writing generally? I tried reading Friday Night Lights but couldn't get through more than a chapter --so overwrought. Over-the-top metaphor piled upon over-the-top metaphor.

cranberry and Matt1735 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted