1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that make you feel old

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 12, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Plane spotting.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I turned 39 just after my daughter was born. The concept of having another kid is so far beyond my realm of comprehension. One is challenging enough, but it feels like we still have some us time and it feels possible for an exhausted parent to get some quiet time (like today, when I took my daughter to the park for three hours while my wife battled a bad cold). Also, we're a writer and a teacher, so one kid fits the budget. Bless all of you going for two and more at any age, especially the late 30s or early 40s. I often ask my Dad how he and my late Mom had two kids 15 months apart and he says "Well, we were in our 20s, for one thing."

Along those lines. things that make me feel old: I am the same age now my parents were when I graduated high school. My daughter just finished pre-school. I feel like my wife and I aren't the outliers amongst her friends' parents, but who knows, we might be. I think it helps that two of her friends have teenaged siblings.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm right with you. We are on track to hit 19 years. If you are like me, you have gleaned the valuable insight that tells you to avoid all PTO duties whatsoever, as that puts you in contact with the parents (which is bad) instead of the kids (which is great).

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I graduated high school in 1992. I had a friend, the oldest child, whose father was a WWII vet, and from what I remember not some guy who joined up after high school graduation in '44. My grandfathers were too old to be drafted.

On the other hand, a friend once mentioned a rumor that another friend, whose parents were noticably old for a kid his age, was actually the son of the person he thought was his sister.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My parents were 48.5/43 when StarSis, my youngest sibling (15.5 younger than me) was born. My mom had kids when she was late-37, late-39 and mid-43.

My dad opted out of some of the active-sports-parent stuff because I was still in the picture. By the time I got involved coaching some of her sports teams, I was in my late twenties and quite a few other parents thought I was the dad and our real dad was the grandpa.

Now, I'm coaching teams with her kids, and some of the other parents think I'm the grandpa, even though I'm their uncle. And I am about the age of the grandparents who come watch.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think I know how the process generally started in all six cases.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  7. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I served part of my LDS mission in Youngstown,Ohio in 1989. Went to some games at Youngstown State.

Last year, my team played at Youngstown State. I walked into the arena and freaked out. The players wondered why.

"Oh my God, I'm actually saying this -- The last time I was in this gym, none of you had been born yet."

So began my mid-life crisis.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is already the seventh CWS after Rosenblatt

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

My 9-year-old daughter asked me the other day how old I was when they invented the telephone.

10. State of the Board threads.

They also make me feel better about myself and my mental health.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

d_bs, which has also been mentioned already:

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Keegan-Michael Key makes me feel old.

I saw him on Colbert last night and Juan Valdez couldn't supply me with enough caffeine to reach that level of energy.

Draft saved Draft deleted