1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Have you read any of those books? If so, why haven't you posted about them? Or did you just look them up for the benefit of mocking and looking smart?

I'll be open to reading them -- probably will, actually, since that's what I do when I want to know about something -- but I don't really need to. I've learned a lot, and probably know most of what would be in those books.

Islam, as intended and lived by Muhammad, and as recorded by history, is a violent, dangerous religion. There's really no getting around it. Muslims who are not so are simply being more moderate and westernized (and smarter, and more open-minded and modern, in my opinion). That's better, of course, but really, they're also, typically, not as informed and aware, and they're not practicing it as it is, and as it was intended.

Al-Qaeda and ISIS are doing that.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You crack me up.

OK, back to talking books.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The SJ.com book club now has a MISSION STATEMENT!

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

From my point of view this is better than Moddy thundering "Every time Huggy posts in this thread he costs me money!"

Hermes likes this.
  5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

And you don't answer questions. Read the books, as suggested.

6. OrangeB

OrangeB New Member

Just finished Gunslinger by Jeff Pearlman. Great read. Currently, I'm working on Condoleezza Rice's new book Democracy: Stories from the Long Road to Freedom.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Love that series!

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

My 12-year-old daughter has to read this before school starts in the fall, so I figured I would read it first so we could talk about it, have some daddy-daughter literature discussions...blah blah. So I knocked it out in a couple or three days. As I was getting close to the end, I was thinking that there weren't very many pages left to bring this to a meaningful conclusion, and my fears were warranted.

Somewhere in our house, I have a book called The Big Book of Funny, or something like that. It's a collection of cartoons and essays and other humorous stuff. In one article about "how to write good," it's suggested that a good ending to a story is to say, "And all of a sudden, everyone got run over by an ice cream truck," when there had been no ice cream truck in the story previously. That's what the end of this book felt like. It was abrupt. The whole story wasn't great, but the ending was just...not good.

Joe Bob says pass on this one.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Just finished "Peak Performance." I highly recommend it for weekend athletes and managers.

Peak Performance

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

If you like cop/crime fiction, run, don't walk, to get The Force by Don Winslow. Just an incredible book. I devoured The Cartel and it might be better than that.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just got this delivered. Winslow is VERY good

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Aside from being a great cop/crime book it is a great New York book, the city is all over it. I can't imagine the movie rights for this will come cheaply.

Draft saved Draft deleted