1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uber in crisis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 1, 2017.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Baseball manager retreads > CEO retreads?

Discuss.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Good premise! Alas for discussion, I have no opinion.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

A good, long look at Uber hell, where everyone gets squeezed to the max ...

Even its most outspoken critics agree that Uber has dramatically and irrevocably changed the way the world gets around. But the company’s great breakthrough isn’t the concept of cars on demand, or even the technology that enables it. It’s an accelerated restructuring of the American labor force and dramatic redefinition of the future of work. In Uber’s vision, work time is elastic, workers are expendable, and the workday itself has no clear start or end. The individual is uniquely responsible for their own financial success, and the company achieves maximum output without having to compensate people for their downtime.

For drivers, this means accepting ride after ride with cash bonuses, hourly incentives, and a five-star rating system in which drivers are expected to maintain at least a 4.7-star rating. Without those drivers, their cars, and the millions of miles they’ve driven, Uber wouldn’t exist. But all that work has cost Uber very little — drivers receive no benefits, pay their own income taxes, and earn, based on Uber’s estimation, wages that are roughly equivalent to an employee at McDonald's. Uber revolutionized work by turning people into flexible, mobile, iPhone-wielding, car-driving widgets. It is a machine for squeezing value out of people — and that applies as much to its many thousands of drivers as to the 14,000 corporate employees working in offices around the globe.

Like many companies of its kind, Uber attracts the best and the brightest by pitching itself as a pure meritocracy, a place where best thinkers and hardest workers are richly rewarded. Meritocracy — the tech-industry-beloved organizational ethos that assumes everyone, regardless of gender, race, or economic background, has an equal chance of success — was one of Uber’s now-abandoned 14 core values. As one former employee said, explaining why he joined the company, it seemed like a “libertarian playground where the best would rise to the top.” But, he said, “I quickly realized that environment also means work becomes a blood sport.”

How Uber's Hard-Charging Corporate Culture Left Employees Drained

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Uber now has in-app tipping and yesterday it said it would match 100 percent of all tips and all of it would go to the drivers.
    So I forgot and used Lyft. Oops.

I pretty much use Lyft all the time now. Can't remember my last Uber.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I can't wait for Pooper, the service that connects people who really, really need to take a nasty shit, with homeowners willing to let them for a small fee.

Buck and RickStain like this.
  6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Certain segments of the business community might benefit from this service too...

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

CEO search is going well.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Interesting twist to the protectionism in play in London on behalf of the taxi industry.

11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted