1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Illustrated layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Aug 23, 2016.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The odd thing about college football attendance is that "flexible" start times are keeping some gametes up in the air a week ahead of time. You buy a ticket to a game or have season tickets and don't know if it will be played at noon, 4 p.m. or 7 p.m. which makes a big difference when you think at least a third of most big-time schools fans travel more than 50 miles to see a game and may - or may not - require an overnight stay or two, let alone plan the tailgate party (brunch or dinner). Pac12 schools have been complaining a lot (particularly those from WSU, Oregon and OSU) where many fans face 100 mile drives or more from the nearest major metro area.

Batman and I Should Coco like this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This is a great point. It keeps a lot of my Virginia Tech alumni friends from going to as many games in Blacksburg as they might like. Most are coming from NoVa or Richmond, and Blacksburg isn't a quick trip from either. Huge difference with a game starting at noon and one starting at 7:30, and the ACC is beholden to that ESPN six-day window a lot of times. That's another reason why, although the students love them, the alumni hate the Thursday night games. You basically have to take two days off of work if you want to go to one.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I have pointed this out repeatedly here and elsewhere over the years. It ranks right up there with East Coast Bias among my biggest pet peeves.
    And fuck those 9 p.m. basketball games.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Some enterprising network should show a weekly Pac-12 game at 1 p.m. Pacific. As a TV viewer in the East, I am most reluctant to commit to watching any game from anywhere that starts after 4 p.m. Either it interferes with dinner or I know it'll just go on too damn long. Length of game is a way bigger problem for college football than it is for baseball as far as I'm concerned.

ChrisLong likes this.
  5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

But much less of an issue with college football because I usually want to flip between multiple different games. During baseball regular season, at least, I usually only care about my team.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Saw this earlier today. The Mountain West is at the point where the leftover change it gets from the networks may no longer be worth killing the live gate with crummy time slots.

MW considers cutting the TV cord

Doc Holliday likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Let me go through my typical viewing experience (Note: Consider this November. When it's nice in early fall, I try to be outside until 4 p.m). Noon: Big 10 game, early SEC game, maybe I'll watch a few plays during lunch and when the fourth quarter rolls around 1:30 ACC game of week. Almost never watch. 3:30 p.m. window: Depends on the game between SEC, ABC games and Big-12 games. Probably watch a lot fewer SEC games now that Verne is gone. 6-6:30 SEC games on ESPN-2. Never watch. 7 p.m. ESPN game. Sometimes the first half. Ditto for the 8 p.m. ABC game. The late night West Coasters, many of which are games I'd enjoy. No. I'm gonna watch football hours on Sunday, too. I need my sleep.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Thinking of the fans? How dare they!

Not sure the coaches would like this, though. How do you go into recruits' living rooms and tell them that family and friends can't watch them play on network TV?

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That would make sense if they were getting a bunch of ESPN or Fox games. For CBSSN? You might be better off mailing Fire sticks and instructions to everyone in the alumni association.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I used to cover a Big South school, and they would semi-regularly have 9 p.m. weekday starts so they could get on American Sports Network or MASN2 or ESPNU or something like that. It was ridiculous.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Pac-12 Network usually has a game in the early-afternoon window, which would be about 11 a.m. Pacific time.
    It's usually the Colorado game.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's truly stupid that the west coast gets a non-P12 game in the ABC 12:30 window. And yet it happens repeatedly. Windows as 12:30, 3:30-4, 5 -6 p.m, and 7 p.m. Slip a P12 network crummy game of the week somewhere in there, maybe a second late game, but there are weekends when the Pac12 has THREE games going on after 7 p.m.. The night game would be great if if was THE night game of the week.
    It will be interesting when the football deals are redone, the networks will offer less money, and the colleges will NEED more and be asking for more schedule certainty and better windows.
    I think the Pac 12 may just institute their own subscription model for web viewing and then sell the games to the networks.

Draft saved Draft deleted