1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

After all they'd been thru, it was cool of Poppy to take Mickey and Roger to see Clemente get his 3,000th.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Wee! That went over my head! ???

4. Songbird

Watched Chasing 3,000 last night.

Vombatus likes this.
  5. Songbird

6. Songbird

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Yep. I think Brian Daubach was in the same position. If a player wasn't on the 40-man roster, the team could call him up to be a replacement player. Refuse and he would get released.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Teams never did it to top prospects, just marginal players. It's something of an accolade to be so lowly regarded by your team in 1995 to end up having a respectable career.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Brendan Donnelly was a surprisingly effective relief pitcher when the Angels won the World Series and a popular member of the team. He was a replacement. He is not in any of the official team photos. I don't think he was given any licensing money that the MLBPA distributes to the players.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Rick Reed, the former Mets pitcher, also was a replacement.

I remember seeing an article on him years later that mentioned how he wasn't in the union, but that his teammates had pretty much accepted him as one of them because the labor dispute was pretty far in the past.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The Twins swept the Indians in Cleveland. For the season, the Twins are 5-1 in Cleveland and 0-7 in the Cities against the Tribe.

Draft saved Draft deleted