1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Road to Omaha 2017

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, May 30, 2017.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Karl Hess's kid benefitting from subpar officiating is somehow fitting.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As somebody who will likely be waiting on that, and only that, to finish their section tonight, let's hope the wide strike zone is still in play and they can finish this one in less than four fucking hours.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Dammit, you're not allowed to comment on bad officiating on SJ.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Over the course of two games against Oregon State, LSU's pitchers retired 24 consecutive batters.
    I know the umpiring helped with that, but it's still damned impressive.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, the SEC at least has baseball. Gators vs. LSU.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Florida won 2 of 3 in the regular season, including a 1-0 win in a Faedo-Lange showdown.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Which, sadly, we probably won't get unless the series goes to three games.
    Game 1 might be the old "Johnny Wholestaff" game for both sides. LSU might be able to bring back Poche' on Monday, but it'll be interesting to see if they hold him back for Game 2 and try to muddle through Game 1 with Hunter Newman and whoever else they can find.

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The real winner is the area of Omaha and Council Bluffs. LSU fans travel and spend when their team is in the Series. Making it to the end is a big win for the city.

9. Marcus Williams

Marcus Williams New Member

Glad to see my Gators in CWS. Been there enough not to get too excited. Felt like last year team was the one, but we always hit a wall. Fingers crossed.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I've covered teams with an assortment of, shall we say, high-strung parents. But imagine being Paul Mainieri and having Kim Mulkey AND Karl Hess in the stands watching their sons. Add in the pressure of the most high-profile job in college baseball and I'd show up for every game on the verge of a stroke.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Pulmonary, as a friend of mine who is an LSU fan sometimes calls him.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If Mainieri finishes this off, that ought to buy him a few months of goodwill next season.

Draft saved Draft deleted