1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer - Cartersville, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Dailyconvo

Dailyconvo New Member

Usually a post goes on their site when they make a move. I haven't seen one.

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

3. AndrewH202

AndrewH202 New Member

I'm the sports writer who's there currently. Just thought I'd shed a little bit more light on the job.

It's basically a one-person sports desk at the moment although we have a summer intern and the managing editor (who used to be the sports editor until he got promoted) still writes a story or two. He's a great guy, only about five or six years out of college himself. We're definitely looking to hire someone during the summer so you can get your feet under you for football season.

It's a pretty typical preps job, great for someone just out of college (which is where they hired me from), but the caliber of athlete you're going to cover is a cut above a lot of similar jobs elsewhere in the country. Cartersville High School has one of the best athletic programs in Georgia. The quarterback, Trevor Lawrence, is a once-in-a-lifetime prospect, and they've got a couple other D-I caliber guys on a team that will likely walk their third-straight undefeated season and state title in the fall. The baseball team has three SEC commits already, two of whom are going to get drafted high next year. The golf instructor at the country club teaches several PGA Tour guys. And then Lakepoint, right down the road, now brings in the best high school baseball and basketball players in the country—I got to talk to Michael Porter Jr. and Zion Williamson when they were at tournaments there.

So yeah, it's a preps job, but it's a preps job with a lot of unique opportunities for someone who's talented and ambitious. The town itself is, honestly, kind of garbage, but there are a couple of decent restaurants and bars, there's a lake, a river and a state park if you're outdoors-inclined, and it's not *that* far away from Atlanta (although the traffic is a bitch).

Feel free to get in touch if you've got any more questions. I'd be happy to help.

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

And if you add "I'll work for minimum wage, or less ..." then you're golden ... :D

5. jsimp

jsimp Member

Any new updates?

6. AndrewH202

AndrewH202 New Member

The position has been filled

Draft saved Draft deleted