1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The death of the electric guitar'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

1. Very cool online presentation by the Post. Incorporated photos, graphics, videos (and of course, ads).

2. The article talked to a lot of rockers, and had some good quotes from them, but its arguments and structure could have been written about any consumer item which came out pre-smart phone.

3. Prediction: In about 100 years or so, as we toil for the brotherhood of man under the watchful eye of overlords, computers and priests, some youngster will see a shiny object in a stream, pick it up and proclaim, "What can this strange device be/When I touch it, it gives forth a sound. It's got wires that vibrate and give music/What can this thing be that I've found ..." :)

2muchcoffeeman, X-Hack and QYFW like this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Meh. Tom Petty addressed this in '83. Rock 'n' roll -- and the electric guitar -- will live forever.

(Also the first video I ever saw on MTV, and still my favorite along with Da Funk)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No music - or instrument - is dead as long as people play it and others listen. I am sure articles like this popped up in mid-to-late 70s and early 80s and when disco and later new wave ruled the world.

Great to see Vernon Reid in the videos. What a great player....

I love guitars and while I don't play - I just bash around on my Epiphone acoustic - I love to spend an hour or two at Guitar Center.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Acoustic guitar >>>>>>> electric guitar.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Huggy likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Boy that story just won't say it: Hip hop and rap permeates pop culture - even country - and it doesn't have much of a place for the electric guitar. What's more, millennial music critics aren't very good at their jobs; they focus so much on the lyrics and atmospherics of an album that the music can often just be sonic mud.

8. Dick Whitman

I really concur with this. Melody has taken such a backseat. We were talking about it here in regard to Jason Isbell. He has a tin ear for melody. No one will write it.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

For 4 reasons:

1. It'd be uncool to do so.

2. If you write it, you'd better come armed with a working theory of what's better.

3. Even if you have that theory, culture is so celeb-absorbed that a writer may quickly be hit with "well, can you do it?"

4. Isbell's story is a classic southern rocker tale, and that attracts some respect irrespective of his music.

I don't personally love his work. Neither his nor the other guy, Simpson. He's worse. He sounds dreary.

10. Dick Whitman

No. He's fucking amazing.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He's dreary. A sad, recalcitrant hound dog of a voice.

12. Dick Whitman

He sounds like Waylon.

Draft saved Draft deleted