1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Gabe Pressman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jun 23, 2017.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Legendary career. Spent over 50 years at WNBC.

This might be my favorite part though, that Shell Oil was the presenting sponsor of the newscast.

Pressman then returned to New York, and in 1951 he began anchoring NBC’s Shell Oil News, New York’s first local television newscast—initial episodes were only five minutes long. By 1963, however, the show had expanded to 30 minutes.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Grew up watching Gabe, if he was on it, it was important.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Waaaaaaay back when, title sponsors for news shows were a thing. See also: Camel News Caravan.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Quite the memorial in the making on WNBC's home page. Was still pushing stories and subjects hard later in life.

5. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

On Channel 11 (WPIX) in New York, Con Edison, the power company, sponsored the local newscast. The podium that the newscaster stood behind had Con Edison's name and logo - pretty amazing considering that Con Ed was a major factor in local New York City news.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Dude was a fixture here my entire life.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I grew up watching him, and we had a bit of a personal connection: his father was my mother's family dentist when she was growing up in the Bronx.

Draft saved Draft deleted