1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm starting to wonder if anyone in Congress is intelligent enough to handle this difficult issue.

I've thought for a couple of decades now that more and more morons are getting elected, propped up by more and more staff and civil service morons. And I'm talking about both parties.

US Govt is not a place where we send our best and brightest anymore.

Never thought I'd say this, but I miss Tip O'Niell.

Got shit done.

Anyway, DoD has all these think tanks. Why can't some smart think tank give us a reasonable way ahead on healthcare? And sustainable. And nonpolitical. Just lay it out. This is what the country needs, etc, etc. Details. A plan without partisanship.

At some point the country needs to start coming back together and start doing what's good for the country.

Some how, some way.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Love your idea. Sadly have no hope it'll happen.

It's a disgrace. Richest country on the planet. Healthcare should be a RIGHT for us. It's not.

It's a shame.

But we are two counties. And it won't change in our lifetimes.

It's not right.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I actually think the Senate put this together ambivalent about its passage. Figure some GOP Senators could oppose it and scuttle it if that position works for them in their state. If it does work for them in their state vote for it and blame the "no" voters if it doesn't pass. McConnell put forth a bill most of the base approves of - he's golden.

What happens next I have no idea. Inter-state health compacts? Single-payer? The present GOP plan has 16 pct. approval.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

“I don’t pursue every attacker, just the ones that piss me off,” Mr. Ben-Oni told me recently over lentils in his office, which was strewn with empty Red Bull cans. “This pissed me off and, more importantly, it pissed my wife off, which is the real litmus test.”

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

'Gurgling down that Fucko cream'

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because flag pins and freedom fries were more important.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned this before, but I've been impressed with the dedication and spirit of a lot of federal workers who truly believe in the core mission of their agencies (as opposed to what the appointed hacks who come in and out with the tide want them to spew) and work hard to achieve it, even when cut off from support (and on more than one occasion their pay checks).

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

And even while treated like a hindrance to the national good.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Remember that hullabaloo about the Russians trying to hack the French elections? Turns out it never happened, although Western media gave it very little play.

The Latest: France says no trace of Russian hacking Macron

Here's the kicker: This is pretty much the most recent development . . . and yet if you do a Google search for "Russians French election" this story does not show up until the THIRD page, behind all those older stories about "U.S. increasingly convinced about Russian interference in France election!"

In Germany, Merkel had her intelligence agencies look into any evidence of Russian meddling in its campaign. Nothing found. Nothing reported about that here, also.

We're the country that cried "Wolf!"

Only we keep crying, "Bear! Evil Russian bear!"

Rest of the world is slowly beginning to ignore it.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. That report is devastating, and that's your take?

His own people can't defend his lack of more forceful action.

“It is the hardest thing about my entire time in government to defend,” said a former senior Obama administration official involved in White House deliberations on Russia. “I feel like we sort of choked.”
    “The punishment did not fit the crime,” said Michael McFaul, who served as U.S. ambassador to Russia for the Obama administration from 2012 to 2014. “Russia violated our sovereignty, meddling in one of our most sacred acts as a democracy — electing our president. The Kremlin should have paid a much higher price for that attack.

12. Inky_Wretch

Trump is playing that 27-dimensional chess again. He told FNC his tapes tweet/lie was designed to keep Comey honest - which sounds a bit like witness tampering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.