1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazon is buying Whole Foods

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I leased a car in January 2012 and had the free 3 month trial (I don't drive during the week and put about 100 miles a month on the car outside of the summer). I called them when it was almost over and told them that I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue. They gave me 3 more free months and never cancelled it. When I rented a new car in 2015, I gave the dealer my cell number and they continued my free service. So far, I am 5.5 years in and have never paid a dime.

poindexter likes this.
  2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Got them to give me a 12-month "trial" plan for $138, which includes all the channels in the car and online. And I'm a Sirius whore, so I didn't want to go down in service. But not bad for one phone call (to some gal in the Philippines).

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's not a birthright to be able to afford beers on the town. QYFW. Also: Vox really needs to spring for some copy editors.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I agree with all of that.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Blue Apron wishes they had gone public three weeks ago.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'm now imagining Jeff Bezos as Daniel Plainview yelling at Blue Apron: "Here, if you have a kale strawberry smoothie with fresh mango, and I have a kale strawberry smoothie with fresh mango, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? Watch it. Now, my straw reaches acroooooooss the room and starts to drink your kale strawberry smoothie with mango. I... drink... your... kale... strawberry... smoothie...with...fresh...mango!"

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

3 weeks ago wouldn't have made a difference. 2 years ago would have, for sure. The last round of private funding, at a higher valuation, was in 2015.

It's a company that loses money and the filing was preparing investors for more losses to come. It is going to spend a lot more -- and the projections for what that spending is going to lead to seem like a giant bag of hope. Add in how competitive the playing field for food sales is. ... and well, as usual, I don't get it. But good luck to anyone rolling the dice on this. It's insane to me that a company that is losing 10s of millions of dollars a year came out at a valuation of almost $2 billion. ... and that is 50 percent below where it was hoping to be valued. I think people are going to look back on the last several years and shake their heads at valuations like this.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They defended the IPO price twice during the day -- it bounced off $10. But it broke below the IPO price ($9.95) in the after hours. Ouch.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This will be their forth location in the state (third in the city), but the first not located to accommodate college students.

But it's an upscale neighborhood, with private homes, and a fear of package theft.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That is unintentionally hysterical.
    Which is one of the best kinds of funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted