1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Frank Kush

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jun 22, 2017.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Played an indirect part in changing NFL history by being a key reason that John Elway refused to sign with the Colts.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If I remember the 30 for 30 on that draft correctly, Elway never mentioned Kush. Demoff did only when saying Kush was cool with trading the pick but Irsay turned it down. Rageaholic drunks don't make good owners.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

One year, after the Heisman Awards, I'm at a private dinner hosted by the President of the Downtown Athletic Association.

I'm seated next to Frank Kush (and across from Mike Rozier).

I tell Kush that his name is familiar to me, but I can't quite place him. He tells me the field at ASU is named in his honor. I tell him that's not why I'm familiar with him.

He tells me he's famous for having coached in the NCAA, NFL, CFL, and USFL. No. That's not his.

Finally -- completely innocently, I really couldn't remember -- I ask him if he was known for one thing, maybe something infamous. So, he tells me -- all while talking with his hands and holding his steak knife -- that he was fired for punching a player.

That's it!

God did I feel like an idiot.

Rozier told him he'd heard he was tough to play for. Kush, tells him, he would have been better off if he had played for him. Rozier agrees that he was probably right.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Bronco77, Batman, Webster and 4 others like this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

7. Michael_ Gee

A great story YF. In one of Reggie Jackson's two or three autobiographies, I forget which, he says he kind of liked/respected Kush.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It ranks up there with when I ran into OJ -- pre murders -- in a billiard table store. The employees were fawning over him, and he was showing them his Hall of Fame ring.

I ask him, "where's your Super Bowl ri.. (oh shit)?"

OJ looks at me like I'm fucking crazy, and kicked me. The kick was sort of exaggerated, and playful, but he kicked me about waist high.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've heard it was a minor miracle that no players died in his preseason camps.

Kush's. Not OJ's.

10. Michael_ Gee

I kind of see how that might happen.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

As a kid, I attended Colts practices when they were open to the public in Baltimore. One day, there's Reggie, who had been recruited to ASU by Kush. They had apparently stayed in touch.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

From every account I ever read, a miserable excuse for a human being. Too many coaches who treat their players like human beings have won a helluva lot more than he did to excuse his behavior. Fuck him.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted