1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Pearlman: SJ.com is for loosers!!11!!11!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

But not in the fun, ridiculous way JDV did it. I've never heard OOP brag about pulling Raiderettes or the kind of car he drives. If he did, well, that would be a very different OOP.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OOP knows his sports pretty well, especially Pittsburgh sports. But he takes his eye off the ball and lets it become for him about proving his sparring partner is a bad guy rather than defending his point. It can be like watching a singles hitter swing for the fences.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Guess I'm missing the joke here, you're saying Pearlman created JDV?

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I still like to imagine that JDV was a long con on the board. It would have been a genius play. Unfortunately I think he's real.

5. cjericho

There definitely was a real guy in the videos and he sounded the way the guy posted. Also his business card and credentials were easily found in a search. Of course, anyone can say and create anything on the internet, but it did look pretty real.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wasn't Pearlman who made that comment.

The fellow who did make it was pretty open about who we was in real life, but I'll refrain from connecting the Facebook profile to the SJ.com handle.

I don't think we ever had a beef here, and I was happy for his successes. Enjoyed his posts on several topics, including the Beatles.

Ultimately, he wanted to be in with the crowd who kissed the big timers' asses. To them, folks like Boom, Dick, and me ruined the place. Saying the coffee repair man ruined the place became shorthand for that.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  7. Dick Whitman

His dislike of me really came out of left field. I had no idea the guy had it in for me, and then, all of a sudden, he's essentially MFing me here. It was bizarre. Pretty obviously he was going over to the other place and picking up a lot of that.

The fact that Doc became some sort of pied piper for people defies belief for me. Follow his Twitter feed. I'm actually embarrassed for the guy most days.

Zeke, although a True Believer liberal, was actually the smart one out of that duo, and he was pretty good at getting under my skin because of it. Doc tried to be Zeke, but Doc is a moron, and it showed. (And continues to.)

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bad joke. One which will not be repped for real talk.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

The name JDV still makes me shiver.

FileNotFound and TyWebb like this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Who the hell doesn't like Carl?

HC and doctorquant like this.
  11. cjericho

Miss Zeke, he was such an idealistic liberal. Remember some of his posts during Obama's "Yes we can" speech. Not verbatim, but was something about getting teary eyed and feeling all warm inside. Kind of like a real-life Brandon Walsh, pretty sure he was from Minn also.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Zeke and I actually ended up getting along pretty well. I was pretty dumb about politics in 2008 - it was like a new toy for me - and he knew enough about it to call me on it. He actually really helped me think about things more constructively, even though I didn't always agree with his methods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.