1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/designer in Dalton, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GAJJ1980, Jun 8, 2017.

1. GAJJ1980

GAJJ1980 New Member

The Daily Citizen-News, a daily newspaper in Dalton, Ga., has an opening for a sports writer/designer in a two-person sports department. We focus on local sports in our two-county area, which includes eight high schools and Dalton State College, a NAIA program. Along with strong writing skills and knowledge of AP style, you should be dependable and show initiative and creativity. The ability to use social media to enhance our coverage is also important. We publish a weekly high school football section during the regular season. Candidates with pagination experience are strongly preferred. Send a cover letter, résumé and writing/pagination samples (three to five each) to managing editor Jamie Jones at jamiejones@daltoncitizen.com. No phone calls please.

2. cbh07

cbh07 New Member

This is the post I am leaving. I am leaving the industry to join a small business in Atlanta.

I have nothing but great things to say about my time in Dalton, which will be about 2 1/2 years. It's a place that loves its high school sports and the teams generally have enough success to keep the job pretty fun. State semifinalists in football and baseball, Dalton State College is a nationally ranked men's basketball program (as well as in several non-revenue sports), but by far the best sport in the area is boys soccer. Had a second school in three years win a state championship this year and six out of eight boys soccer programs made the state playoffs. Dalton recently went 80 consecutive matches without a loss and won three straight state titles. They lost in the semifinals this year, but had five sophomore starters, several of which are already some of the best players I've ever seen at the HS level. They will be a lot of fun to watch the next two years.

Tony the sports editor and Jamie the managing editor were both awesome people to work for. They are fun, engaging guys that are always very easy to work with and quick to offer advice. Any time I ever needed some time off they were happy to work with me. The other folks around the newsroom are wonderful as well.

This is a job where you will work hard. It's still a daily and covering eight high schools and a college with two people is a challenge. But for someone looking to move from a weekly to a daily, or someone with experience writing but looking to break into newspapers (like I was), this is a great spot. It's a CNHI paper, and I've seen lots of negative stuff on here posted about the company, but I was never affected by any of that stuff while I was here. On the contrary, I enjoyed CNHI. So take that FWIW.

Very low cost of living. The apartments are reasonably priced, but there is also plenty of lesser known options out there. For instance, I was able to pick up a nice situation about 200 yards away from the office that is basically a house that has been divided into three apartments for about $400 a month. As someone who came from Atlanta, I couldn't believe that. But there are lots of things like that if you know where to look. Downtown Dalton is going through a revitalization of sorts as well, with lots of new restaurants and a couple bars opening in the last year and more on the way.

Overall, I was very happy here and wouldn't be leaving if I didn't have an opportunity I couldn't pass up. Any other questions for me feel free to ask.

3. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Dalton is a good spot for someone young to test themselves and push themselves with enterprise projects.

I too worked there for 2.5 years (before Hilly). Never worked with Tony but heard great things. Marty Kirkland (former SE) was solid. Chris Whitfield is still there, probably talking about the good 'ole days when he had to walk 15 miles in the snow to get a glass of milk. And you can learn all about the glory of inbox basketball.

They cut a sports writer position in the last couple years (a few months after I left, another writer left and they swept the spot under the rug), but they haven't laid off anyone from what I know since they got rid of the Spanish weekly they produced, and that was around 4 years ago. They really can't afford to let anyone else go. Big Hispanic population. Amazing soccer. Dalton is the football "powerhouse" that the other schools in the area gripe about (too much coverage). NW Whitfield is usually pretty solid as the "No. 2" program for football and basketball. SE Whitfield purports itself as the red-headed stepchild of the area in terms of attention and support. The paper isn't shy on you traveling for big games, so you'll get to see the wonders of NW Georgia (the mountains are a pretty sight, but a trip to or from Gilmer in the dark goes over the east range and can be scary) and even head down to the Atlanta area a time or two.

Chattanooga is a 30-minute drive from the paper's office and it's one of the most underrated cities in the south. I wish I spent more time there.

Dalton added a Popeyes right after I left in 2014. That's a big plus. You ain't shit if you don't have a Popeyes.

If you're looking for a shady hole-in-the-wall with good food and cheap drinks, the Oyster Pub is pretty solid. Can't beat tater tots and chicken tenders with a $2 beer after a Friday night busting your ass. Don't walk on those floors in sandals, though.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Never been to Dalton, but worked with Tony in Ohio for a few years. Other than having an aversion to RC Cola, he's a pretty good guy.

5. MUTigers

MUTigers Member

I can also vouch for Tony, he worked for the paper next to mine in Ohio before moving to Georgia and is a solid guy and journalist.

6. jsimp

jsimp Member

Any updates on this position?

Draft saved Draft deleted