1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you understand what "pool reports" are and how they're used.

melock and dixiehack like this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My objection to that has always been that it might discourage veterans from seeking mental health assistance.

3. MisterCreosote

Jesus. The tweet mentioned the guy BY NAME. How is mentioning "Ronny Jackson" leading people to believe he's actually "Harold Bornstein?"

SnarkShark likes this.
  4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I can see that, as well, but veterans with mental issues are no different than civilians with mental health issues or domestic violence-type crimes. What's it going to take for us to have some sort of meaningful action on this?

franticscribe likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Also, HIPAA doesn't really play into it, because a federal law could just explicitly supersede HIPAA in this context. HIPAA is not enshrined in the Constitution. It's just an amendable statute.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

But what about the ketchup slathering of burnt steaks? That's kinda interesting.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

No. I'll just be wrong. I mean, sure, I'd feel badly for him and his family, but it's not like I know a single specific of his injuries, or that I'm a surgeon. Note this sentence as well "Odds are that he'll heal pretty well... but understand that I'm talking in a general sense and know no details whatsoever."

That said, they got him to a level one trauma center quickly. They did not lose him right after he got there. His chances are pretty good.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Of course it would. There are actually people in the United States who'd actually say "this isn't legal and thus I can't do it." Drunk driving fatalities are down 51 percent since 1982. That ain't happenstance. Hell, abortions have been cut in half since 1990. A lot of that can be tied back to state laws that make it just a little harder to get an abortion or provide them.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The stats make it clear. States with more restrictive firearms laws have lower rates of firearms deaths. Not just murders, accidents and (especially) suicides, too.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I agree that his chances are pretty good now, but from what I know about gunshot wounds, those to the pelvis area are significant. Lots of bones the bullet can ricochet from and lots of very serious organs that bleed A LOT in the pelvis.

11. Dick Whitman

Also, as guns would be removed from circulation after crimes and so forth, there wouldn't be guns readily available to replace them. Eventually, the supply would be depleted. You don't see a ton of Revolutionary War muskets being traded on the black market. Things don't last forever.

12. MisterCreosote

In this context, HIPAA was meant to do the exact opposite of what three_bags is suggesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.