1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mayweather vs. McGregor, Aug. 26

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 14, 2017.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I could see it going the distance, but it probably won't. Like Typefitter said, MMA and boxing are different animals cardio-wise. Grappling is exhausting. I'd argue way more exhausting than chasing someone around a ring (which Mayweather will force Conor to do).

I'm banking on a unanimous decision by Mayweather. Conor will most likely fade down the stretch (probably hit a wall around 7th or 8th) but I'm not seeing a Mayweather KO. I just don't see a guy who hasn't KO'd someone in six years and has only two KOs to his credit in the last 11 years all of a sudden being able to drop someone who has never been KO'd by fighters wearing 4-6 ounce gloves. And I can't see Conor quitting.

But that's just me.

Edit: I should clarify what I mean in my opening sentence. I think it should go the distance, but I have a strange feeling something weird will happen (early stoppage, someone being DQ'd for cheap shot, etc.) to set up a potential cash grab rematch.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Stoney likes this.
  2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

As a fight fan, I'm sadly looking more forward to all the shit talking than I am the actual fight. I may not even buy the PPV, but I'll watch every press conference between these two. Love him or hate him, McGregor can talk some trash.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Swinging and missing is much more tiring than swinging and hitting. Mayweather may be 40 and will probably be dealing with a fair amount of ring rust but I doubt McGregor has ever fought anyone who can punch as fast and in combination like Mayweather can. It's the punch you don't see that gets you.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The trash talk will be amazing, but I'm betting it will lead to a problem: at some point in the not too distant future this is going to do the impossible and make Mayweather a sympathetic figure. McGregor will say something stupid, but even without that, can you imagine the racial abuse Mayweather's about to take online?

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

To McGreggor's cardio, he's probably never fought while wearing 10- or 12-ounce gloves.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I imagine he trains with heavier when sparring. Not the same as an actual fight though.

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Gloves are a factor too. How much of the KO power that McGregor has in UFC does he lose wearing the big gloves? Have to imagine Floyd's camp pushed for 14-16 ounce range

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Mayweather beat the Big Show at WrestleMania. Unless McGregor can a get a chair shot in when the ref is distracted, he doesn't stand a chance.

[​IMG]

Huggy likes this.
  10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that it might be more entertaining to watch Mayweather fight one of those boxing kangaroos. Or perhaps some sort of underwater bout against a sea mammal such as a dolphin. Probably not an orca because it might just eat him.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Dolphins are mad strong.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

if his accent were Boston instead of Irish, it wouldn't carry nearly the same freight. He's got that IRA-crazy element to him, and that makes good theater.

Draft saved Draft deleted