1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Man climbs 3,000 ft El Capitan without ropes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Jun 14, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Sweet merciful crap, that photo makes me queasy. I fear it's not gonna end well for this guy. I mean, do types like this quietly retire? More likely he goes out like Ueli Steck -- doing what he loves.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/world/asia/ueli-steck-mountain-climber-dead-everest.html?_r=0

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That's a slight exaggeration, although it doesn't make it any less impressive. He had a support team and the NatGeo photographers who were there to document the climb. There were friendly, knowledgeable eyes on him during the entire ascent, and there were several ledges where he could have stopped and tapped out.

It's still an amazing feat that may never be replicated. The risk wasn't that he couldn't stop once he got going, but that if he messed up any of hundreds of movements, he was a goner.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

With no ropes. Just fingertips.

His capacity to control his emotions and suppress fear is otherworldly. I get nauseous just watching footage of the things he does.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

If anyone has eleven minutes to burn, this 60 Minutes segment on Honnold is a worthy watch:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This guy is going to end up dead, just like the guy who spent the summers living with grizzlies in Alaska. Eventually, grizzly went grizzly.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

If you read the Times story, he practises these ascents with safety gear, memorizes the route and the techniques required of them, and only then does it without ropes. He's not some yahoo. He's a genius at this particular thing, and he's exercising his genius to its logical limits.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, a lot of them do retire.

Yvon Chouinard was a top climber for many years before becoming famous for founding and owning Patagonia. He spends more time tenkara fishing than anything else these days. Royal Robbins lived to be 82. Conrad Anker, 54, is slowing down these days and taking fewer risks. But then Fred Beckey, the original dirtbag climber, is still cimbing at 94.

CD Boogie likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Can I ask a stupid question? How does one get *down* El Capitan (intentionally). And I'm not talking about the "Spock and Kirk in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" method.

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

There is a hiking path that you can walk down (or up) that I recall reading in one of the linked articles.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The more I've read about this over the last few days, I have to believe this is among the greatest sports achievements ever. 4-minute mile, Everest, Bolt's triple-double.

Stoney likes this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yep, lots of folks picnic up there.

Draft saved Draft deleted