1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terry Frei of the Denver Post fired for tweet about Japanese Indy 500 winner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kolchak, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'd love to know how much of the firing was for the initial tweet and how much was for "apologizing" like an asshole.

Tweener, Hermes, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I assume he gets whatever he's owed if he's contracted?

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

So that's what Mac Tully is doing these days.

4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

That apology was really really bad. Less is more. Take responsibility, be contrite, admit total wrong doing. End.

SFIND, PCLoadLetter and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  5. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

Although I find his posting to be offensive and out-of-tune, I wouldn't have fired him for this. I would have addressed it with an editor's note, and maybe a week's suspension. I don't see that it demanded a firing.

6. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Isn't this the second Denver Post writer who covered hockey to get fired over a Tweet? Didn't Dater get fired over one stupid tweet too many?

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

He should go into political writing. No quota on how many stupid tweets you can produce.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The long apology was actually the take -- because he put in the title of one of his books in the first one. Insensitive and way out of touch. I haven't read definitively that he was fired, just that he was no long an employee with the Post. So it's a firing or he quit or was told he'd be fired if he didn't quit.

He's jumped around many beats for many years at the Post and regularly appears on the biggest sports radio station in town. Not a hot-take guy and someone who didn't really stand out.

And, yes, Dater was fired for bad Twitter use.

Adrian Dater Fired by Post After Weird Twitter Come-On, Admits Substance Abuse Issues

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's not much nuance in discipline for Twitter idiocy these days. The axe seemingly always falls. Not saying that's right or not (and certainly in this case a veteran scribe has to know better and not be surprised at the end result), but middle ground seems to have vanished.

inthesuburbs likes this.
  10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he was on the buyout list the last round and decided not to take it. Not sure what all went with that, if he was close to being let go or not, but he stayed at the paper. This may have helped the Post make a move they wanted to make anyway that much easier.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Especially with what happened less than three years ago with Dater. Sounds like people aren't paying attention or there's poor digital media training going on there. Or both.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

There shouldn't be any digital media training necessary, there or anywhere. It's been very well-established that if you show your ass on social media, there's a good chance you'll get fired.

So he shows his ass, then apologizes like a petulant child. Both of which reflect poorly on who signs his paychecks. It would have been shocking if he wasn't fired.

MileHigh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.