1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must-visit awful U.S. cities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JohnHammond, May 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I know I've said it before, here or on twitter, but Branson is what happens when the nearest cruise terminal is 10 hours away.

Big Circus and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  2. Donny in his element

Both are great. The night tour of Alcatraz is stellar (can't speak for the day tour). And the city isn't pristine -- and who would want it to be? If that's all you want, hang out in Redwood City and walk around Stanford. Berkeley, Half Moon Bay, Sausalito, Russian River Valley, Muir Woods... so much variety within a short drive. Can't wait to return.

cranberry likes this.
  3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

My distaste is solely with the city of SF. The areas around it are marvelous. Well, Bezerkly is odd, but...

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Rockford, Illinois. Every summer I have a family reunion in Wisconsin. On the drive back always stop in Rockford to eat at Beef-A-Roo.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The only cool thing about Rockford is Cheap Trick.

Bronco77, Fly and PCLoadLetter like this.
  6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Dutch Tavern in New London, Conn., is worth a visit.

7. Donny in his element

The only hot thing, then, must be Cindy Crawford.

Edit: Dammit. Got confused with DeKalb. Disregard.

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I feel the same way about Whitey's, a chain of ice-cream shops in the Quad-Cities that I've previously posted about (although having lived in the Q-C in the early '80s, I consider the area a bit less awful than Rockford). Whitey's served the best ice cream and shakes I've ever had. Last time I went there was 13 years ago, and it was as great as I remembered. Might be passing through that area on a trip up north this summer and will make a stop at a Whitey's if possible.

I Should Coco and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

West Colfax isn't much better. Ask Denny Neagle.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There are some good places in SoCal, but man there are a lot of bad, starting with San Bernardino. Add in Compton, Pomona and many others and there are many places to avoid.

Tweener likes this.
  11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I know we've talked QC before, but was there a couple of months ago and hit Whitey's. Man, it only gets better with time.

They had 2 new (to me) creations. Shakes and malts, with Little Debbie Nutty Bar blended into it, and shakes and malts with big, chewy, rich homemade cookies blended in.

12. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted