1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Frank Deford

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, May 29, 2017.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

For a small-town kid in the 80s, Sports Illustrated was the best sports writing, indeed some of the only available sports writing, on a national scale. And Deford was one of the bylines you knew was delivering the best stuff. I can't cite him as a direct influence but that era's SI certainly was and he was a big part of it. RIP.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

A legend and a gentleman. (Those two descriptions don't always intersect.) I feel fortunate to have had a chance to talk to him once, back when I was first thinking about trying to get into the business.

Rest well, Mr. Deford. And thanks.

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

One of my first sportswriting heroes.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I just decided to look up some of Deford's writings and found this SI story on jockey Tony DeSpirito after his death in 1975. Someone else on here said Deford could make you read a story even though you really didn't care about the subject. Normally, I don't read much on horse racing, and admittedly, the headline had caught my eye first. but I read this until the end, and loved his line about how nobody ever says Thomas Jefferson had a year in 1776. RIP

The Kid Who Ran Into Doors: The life and death of Tony DeSpirito

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

0852A28C-B6DD-400B-96DE-2EE247A132AC-1334-0000012A1F8CB974.jpeg Just saw NPR's story and got a kick out of the fact that they used the AP photo from the afternoon I interviewed him at his home in Westport for a feature back in '84. That's exactly how I remember him. He was talking to me when the picture was taken.

Frank Deford, NPR's Longtime Philosopher Of Sports, Dies At 78

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    TowelWaver, Buck, wicked and 7 others like this.
  7. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I had the good fortune to interview him a couple of times over the years and he couldn't have been nicer. I remember being so impressed with how he treated a rube like me as an equal. RIP to one of the all timers.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When I was in college, Mr. Deford moderated a panel on sports and society, with Calvin Hill, Red Auerbach, and Billy Martin. He was the perfect host, and I knew then that the sporting life wouldn't get any better.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Never had the chance to meet him, but never heard anyone say anything but great things.

Obviously a titan of the written word. Also enjoyed his work on HBO's Real Sports.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Swapped emails with him a decade ago, asking how he got real teams to use in one of his novels (the Orioles, I believe) for my own work.

He sent a very detailed explanation of how he did it and took a genuine interest in offering help to me.

That and a legendary writer. I always ached when I thought of him burying his young daughter.

RIP, sir.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Damn.

Sports Illustrated was the bible in the '70s and '80s, showing how good writing transcends reveal to show the human element to any of our endeavors (endeavours for our Canadian friends). As over the top as Curry Kirkpatrick was, Deford was the light touch that balanced the magazine.

Deford had a gift, and he wrung all he had out of it. Would we all be so tireless.

dixiehack likes this.
  12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted