1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

There was one sketch this year that let her run with some impressions, and she was pretty good. They haven't given her a regular one, though.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll miss Zamata - I don't know if it's a problem - but when she was in a sketch, she seemed like she was kind of too pretty and too poised to fit as a background character. You have five or six schlubs acting goofy and then her - too attractive to be a convincing goofball?

3. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

She was on a short-lived show USA had about a year ago hosted by Dana Carvey, where a handful of impressionists competed each week.

Essentially, she's the female Jay Pharoah, without the standup chops. She's a whiz with impressions, but can she play an actual character?

Also was a contestant on America's Got Talent.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

With her, Zamata and the other people at the end of the bench, it always felt like they got the short end of the stick when it came to the writing. I'm not sure if it's a matter of them lacking talent to play decent characters, if they're not assertive enough to get their stuff on the air (a common SNL bugaboo), or if the repeated bits of other cast members just suck up all of the oxygen.

I've never especially liked Aidy Bryant on the show. At least in my mind, she seemed like a kneejerk hire after Melissa McCarthy was awesome on the show her first couple times. If she stays on the show, I imagine she slots into the "normal" or "keeping it together mom" character that Bayer always played.

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Villasenor's speaking voice drives me nuts. Whenever she talks it sounds like she's doing an impression of Abby Elliott's impression of Zooey Deschanel from the 'Quirky Girl' sketches.

6. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

TOTALLY agree with what a couple other posters said about Villasenor. She is not SNL-worthy, and sounds like she's doing the same nerdy voice like 90% of the time. She also does this stupid scrunched-up facial expression constantly, which I find extremely irritating. Boot her ass. Maybe she can earn her chops and be a sitcom star in like 5 years. ...
    I also agree, to a large extent, with what was said earlier about Sasheer Zamata, in the respect she is GORGEOUS. She probably spent too much time in the gym and not enough writing. I don't really feel like comedy is probably her greatest skill, though. Maybe she could be in sitcoms...
    Finally, I disagree about Aidy Bryant. I find her quite funny. And she proved in Girls that she has some legitimate acting chops, I felt...

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Stress-eating Tina Fey is pretty good.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The Tina Fey bit was great. Total fanboi.

9. I love - Love - LOVE Tina Fey.
    But a bad bit, not her best, but not bad at all.
    The whole time she was eating, I was thinking "That is a LOT of cake, grilled cheese and commitment to her craft (how is going to burn all that off?)."

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Saw the Fey clip on another website and absolutely loved it. It also made me want to go order a cake, take it back home and tear it up. I've resisted the urge -- so far.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Kind of thought the same thing. But hell, most of the dudes in the Nathan's hot dog contest aren't too big....

Yeah, that's total commitment to the work!

12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Alec Baldwin was nominated for an Emmy for best supporting actor. Leslie Jones, Kate McKinnon AND Vanessa Bayer for supporting actress.

In all, SNL tied Westworld with 22 noms.

jr/shotglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted