1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian food trend: Faking food allergies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, May 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Scratch his place or his nuts?

cjericho likes this.
  2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I will add that I have two sons with severe nut/peanut allergies, and every now and then (OK, twice) we get complacent and have a terrifying day in the ER. Last time he needed a third epi to stop convulsing.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I strongly suspect my ex-wife had some kind of Munchausen by proxy with our daughter. Out of nowhere she said a doctor declared her allergic to eggs, even though she'd eaten them before without incident. Goes back in a year and they declare no more egg allergy but now she's supposedly allergic to milk (again after eating all the dairy in sight right up to that point.)

My ex-wife made a giant production about how she absolutely couldn't have any exposure to dairy and would send food with her for weekend visits (some of which listed milk ingredients that didn't seem to affect her). Then a couple of months ago, sure enough, the doctor says no more milk allergy.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

There is, unfortunately, a very overprotective mom syndrome that goes along with this. I've seen it with two of my family members. I can understand it, and perhaps it's just some innate part of being a mom, but it can have negative consequences to their kids too: Socially, psychologically, school performance and possibly even physically if a kid is kept out of doing recess/gym things (if asthma accompanies a peanut allergy which happens often).

Draft saved Draft deleted