1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Must-visit awful U.S. cities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JohnHammond, May 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

San Francisco. That place is a dump. But you need to visit Alcatraz.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me of a Sports Illustrated "list" many years ago. The list was of the "Best and Worst of College Football."
    No. 1 in worst was Pullman, Wash. The text said the only thing good about Pullman, Wash., was that Moscow, Idaho, was only 7 miles away where the drinking age was 19.
    No. 2 in worse was Moscow, Idaho.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

USC finished 1-10 in best, I imagine.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My experience was the opposite. I was decidedly underwhelmed with the Alcatraz tour, but I loved the city.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Obviously the guy never spent a football weekend there. Can't speak for IU but Wazzu FB weekends are a ton of fun. Nobody parties like the Cougs.
    Six pages, and no mention of Yakima?

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I did mention the Tri-Cities a few pages back, but Yakima fits, too.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

8. ChrisLong

This was 30+ years ago. I've been to football weekends in Pullman and caught a glimpse of the KibbieDome across the street from the University Inn.
    Truthfully, Micro, every school thinks they party hearty. And they do. Problem is, the other six days, it's still Pullman.
    But, to be fair, I was one of few L.A. guys who liked the Wazzu trip. I had cousins who lived there. Always got a home-cooked meal on Friday night. One year, my aunt from Vancouver, Wash., came over and my cousin drove us down into rural Idaho (redundant?) to see the town where my mom was born. In the early 1900s, it was called Elo. The town of Vollmer was one mile away. There were railroad tracks separating those two towns. They hated each other and had separate everything ... police, fire, city government, etc. Eventually, they realized that was absurd and merged to become Craigmont.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    I Should Coco likes this.
  9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

No whores, druggies, or other reprobates accosted me at Alcatraz.

10. ChrisLong

Somebody alert JC, Cisforkoke is using his log-in.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Ouch, you hurt me. Well played.

YankeeFan and ChrisLong like this.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Truthfully, Micro, every school thinks they party hearty. And they do. Problem is, the other six days, it's still Pullman.

True. But if the list was the best and worst of college football, game day/weekend is all that matters. I love Martin Stadium, smack-dab in the middle of campus, with the stands so close to the field, and the Palouse in late Sept/early October is beautiful. And Cougs really can party. Also have spent many a night in the University Inn.

ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted