1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There's what happens when the back 2/3 of the field has a death wish on every restart.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And we get the Big One.

3. maumann

Somebody moved Talladega a few states to the north. Goodness gracious. And we still have 15 laps to go.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Someone in a silver car nearly took a nose cone to the forehead.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Sato! First Indy win for Asia?

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I'm pretty excited to see Sato win. He should've had it in 2012. Crazy bastard finally got one.

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

Close to guessing right, although I picked Dixon earlier in the month. Helio now has three seconds to go with his three wins. Congrats to Takuma Sato. Too bad it was such a ho-hum race, with nothing happening. :)

And if someone had told you before the race a driver from Andretti would be in Victory Lane, Sato would be about your fifth guess.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Happy for Sato. Is the Andretti Curse still a thing?

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go that far (re: 2012). He basically went for a dive-bomb into one and it didn't stick. That said, Helio should have no shame, as Sato had the best car at the end by a wide margin.

This race got weird in the last 75 laps when the pit strategy got shuffled. I don't know if it's good or bad for IndyCar when you get this and the Rossi thing last year back to back. Seems like it is resembling a plate race more and more.

10. maumann

Geez, Jenna. Really?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It is if you're an Andretti behind the wheel. If you had told me Alonso and RHR would blow up but an Andretti Autosport Honda would still win, I'd have thought it was finally Marco.

Had a great day today on the Turn 2 mounds at my first Indy 500 as a fan. We didn't see the Dixon crash directly but one of his tires ended up in front of us, and that gets your attention now because the tethers usually do a helluva job. The replays shook up everybody, of course, and I wish my 11-year-old hadn't seen that in her first race.

Crowd was roaring for Helio in those closing laps. Didn't think Sato had it in him, figured he'd put a wheel wrong somewhere and even if it was just a hair, Castroneves would have pounced. But give him credit, he was perfect. But too bad for IndyCar, getting another four-time Indy winner would have been a nice boost. Sato won't move the needle much over here. And IndyCar doesn't race at Motegi any more.

The overhead shots showed a few more empty patches in the grandstands than I would have expected. But IMS folks said all along that this year's sales were ahead of 2010-15, realizing that last year was an anomaly, and I'll agree that this crowd was definitely better.

maumann likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I had thought more of Jenna until this month. There was that outrageous Alonso column, and this is a cheap tweet that should be below the AP's national motorsports writer. But I get it, Twitter's just a comedy contest to some scribes. Har-de-har.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted