1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jim Bunning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, May 27, 2017.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A Phillies hero of my youth. RIP.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Jim was one of the founders of the MLBPA and maybe the player most responsible for the selection of Marvin Miller as executive director back in 1966. I spent a good part of a day with him at his home outside Cincinnati about a year ago to collect his thoughts about the union's 50th anniversary. I obviously did not agree with him on a huge range of political issues, but he was a principled gentleman and fearless in his convictions.

Smallpotatoes and YankeeFan like this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A terrific pitcher. As a politician, well, I once started a thread on here titled "F-ck you Jim Bunning" which pretty much sums up my opinion of him on that subject.

RIP.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Pitched a perfect game on Father's Day 1964 with the Phillies.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Saw that one on TV at age 14. It was against the Mets of that time, so sort of an asterisk accomplishment.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

He'd been out of the limelight since leaving the Senate in 2010, and I wondered how long he had lived with Alzheimer's, which I remembered hearing about while still in office. Looked up several stories, and it turns out the Alzheimer's thing was stirred up by his political enemies, many of them Republicans who had beefs about his strange behavior.
    Truly a Man Not To Be Fucked With.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Near-great pitcher, not-too-great politician.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Or, as per Ted Williams, via Ball Four: "Jim Fucking Bunning and that little shit slider of his."

cranberry and Michael_ Gee like this.
  10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The constituents of Kentucky who elected him to six House terms and two Senate terms obviously disagree.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Interesting that a Republican was a founder of a union. Anybody know how he felt or voted re other unions?

Draft saved Draft deleted