1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This is why I never watch ESPN (Sports Center) anymore. Morons front and center.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Pearlman would do well not to hold himself up like this generation's Halberstam.
    He's a pretty average writer who wrote a story about a proto Trump supporter 20 years ago and a few redundant books about mainstream sports events.
    Writing about the '85 Bears and '86 Mets - way to go out on a limb there.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell the only NFL beat writer fired was Paul Kuharsky in Nashville. Is ESPN going to continue to staff every NFL team? Surely ESPN will not staff every team but Tennessee.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not much surprises me in the media business anymore, but that one really does.

Also reminds me of something Werder said in a follow-up interview: ESPN is honoring all of the contracts ... BUT it is holding all of the laid-off employees to the contract too. There are no offsets and there is no negotiation of buyouts. So you can sit on the sidelines and get paid by ESPN, but if you take another gig, you've canceled your contract and they owe you nothing.

So for some of these guys, we might not be seeing them anytime soon.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I would not be surprised if two seasons from now, ESPN has no NFL reporters, commentators, etc. who are not ex-players, coaches or executives. Well, maybe Schefter stays, but maybe not, too.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

John does keep his talk-radio gig in Seattle, so at least there is some consolation prize.

Meanwhile, the NFL Network is thinking it would looooove to have any of these ESPN "castoffs" (contracts permitting).

To paraphrase the great Dean Wormer: "Two screaming people talking over each other is no way to run a network, son."

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'd take a two-year or however long paid vacation.

If someone decided to write a book during that time, does ESPN own the rights?

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Who's to say he/she didn't crank it out the afternoon after the contract expired?

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

UPChip likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just a thought - how much do you think being featured in some company's ad spots helped someone keep their spot? Anyone featured in an ad campaign (non-ESPN) among the cuts? Wasn't surprised Corso will be back. Still an odd mix of cuts though.

12. Skeptical

Skeptical Member

That's your opinion about the American flag malcontent and free-agent quarterback.
    I don't need to provide any polls.
    I spoke of fucktards like Kellerman, Smith and Simmons. Mixon wasn't any part of my post.

Draft saved Draft deleted