1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we not have a running 2017 golf thread?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, May 26, 2017.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I've known Fred for years. He's a pricipled guy and a class act with media and fans. He was kidding. Doesn't anyone have a sense of humor any more?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Christine has never had a sense of humor. I agree with Hondo on Fred. Shit, who on the LPGA Tour would say they can hit as far as him.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wie can. And there was a skinny Korean who I saw at the US Open last year hit a hybrid 280 off the tee.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Big news day in golf for a Tuesday. Tiger's people admits to AP that he's admitted himself to a clinic.
    Agent: Tiger Woods in a clinic for handling pain medication
    And the PGA Tour announces changes to drug policy, which will include making positives tests for recreational drugs public. Translation: DJ better stay clean.
    PGA TOUR announces revisions to Anti-Doping Program

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure which is the bigger shock, Phil/Bones or the Tour finally going public with drug violations. Monahan is definitely putting his own stamp on things, Finchem could have served another 30 years as commish and wouldn't have budged on that.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

When golfers hit their late 40s or get on the Champions Tour, where they're either dialing back the schedule or not playing for $8 million purses, a trend has been to tell their caddies that if they can go make more money and get more starts with another guy, go for it. Fred Couples did that with Joe LaCava, who got a bit of jack with Tiger (he was his caddie when Woods was player of the year in 2013). Scott Hoch did it with Damon Greene (who's been with Zach Johnson). Plus. Bones has had a lot of knee surgery lately.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I didn't realize until today (when else would I read a story with a caddie's age?) that Bones is 52 -- five years older than Phil. If he's addicted to the fairways he could certainly get a young buck's bag and make a few more years of great money while helping on another major title or three, but I'd have to think a TV booth would look pretty inviting too.

Also bet he's hearing from a couple book publishers, but he'd probably never tell all his very best Phil stories.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I certainly believe I'd learn more listening to Mackay on TV during a tournament than from almost all current commentators.

11. MileHigh

Bones would be great on TV, but his phone has been ringing off the hook since this announcement was made.

12. MileHigh

Bones would be great on TV, but his phone has been ringing off the hook since this announcement was made.

Draft saved Draft deleted