1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People do read newspaper ads

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, May 26, 2017.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Local Newspaper Editor Sentenced to 41 Months in Federal Prison for Illegally Possessing Firearms in ‘Guns for Haiti’ Investigation

LOS ANGELES – The editor of a newspaper that covers the Sunland/Tujunga area has been sentenced to 41 months in federal prison for illegally possessing firearms.

David “Doc” DeMulle, 75, of Tujunga, the editor-in-chief of The Foothills Paper, was sentenced on Monday by United States District Judge Otis D. Wright III.

DeMulle pleaded guilty in 2016 to being a convicted felon in possession of firearms. When he imposed the sentence earlier this week, Judge Wright found that DeMulle possessed 25 firearms and hundreds of pounds of ammunition that he was forbidden to possess because of convictions for perjury and welfare fraud in 1990.

This matter came to the attention of the firearms trafficking unit of the Los Angeles Police Department and ATF agents when DeMulle published an advertisement in his paper concerning “Guns for Haiti Quake Relief.” The ad solicited donations of firearms, which DeMulle then purportedly would sell, using the proceeds to support earthquake relief efforts in Haiti. Undercover LAPD officers responded to the advertisement and delivered two firearms to DeMulle, who illegally accepted them.

Subsequent searches of DeMulle’s home and business led authorities to recover 23 additional firearms, as well as hundreds of pounds (not rounds) of ammunition.

The investigation also revealed that DeMulle had previously placed classified ads in The Foothills Paper soliciting firearms, which resulted in him purchasing several firearms from a private citizen while falsely claiming that he possessed a federal firearms dealer’s license and would handle the firearms transfer paperwork.

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I always wondered if newspaper employees took advantage of the valuable perk of a free classified ad.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Should this go on the jobs board?

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

75 and still working? Who is this guy, Noah?

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I think they're weeklies. He's probably paid $350 per week and can't afford to retire.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not really related to the guy or his charges, since it's obvious he probably literally had a ton of the stuff, but this is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to referencing amounts of ammunition.
    Ammunition is big and bulky and heavy, and sold in large lots. It's not hard to amass "hundreds of rounds" or even "hundreds of pounds" of ammo. We have two guns in the house for defense and the occasional target shoot. I bought four or five boxes of .38 ammo for one of them, which is about 200 rounds (50 rounds per box, and if I was a regular at the range I would probably shoot a box per trip) and weighs about five pounds. I can easily fit it all in a shoebox. If I filled up the shoebox I'd probably have close to 1,000 rounds in there weighing about 30 pounds.
    If you have a couple of rifles with enough bigger caliber (and thus heavier) ammo to be a regular shooter, having even a couple thousand rounds (and a few hundred pounds) of the stuff laying around the house would not be unheard of.
    Just a pet peeve. Carry on.

Draft saved Draft deleted