1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most overrated bands/performers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by QYFW, May 22, 2017.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Realism can be upbeat.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Jesse Ed Davis on guitar. RIP.

3. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I remember liking both the BoDeans and the Rembrandts outside of their TV theme songs. I am still OK with "Closer to Free." However, the Friends theme song -- the full version with the filler lyrics -- was on the radio recently. Could have done without that.

4. albert777

albert777 Active Member

Where do I start.

The Pretenders. Two decent songs (Middle of the Road & My City Was Gone) and a lot of boring filler.
    Elton John. Elevator music.
    Janis Joplin. A junkie who thought screeching at the top of her lungs was somehow blues-y.
    U2. As others have said, they've been coasting for an awfully long time.
    Velvet Underground. Some of their stuff is ... OK, but I've never understood the critical acclaim.
    ELO. A gimmick that worked once (their cover of Roll Over Beethoven).

5. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Leonard Cohen. Needs no comment. The man is revered in Canada and I don't understand why.

Most singer-songwriters have a small cadre of v good work and the balance is uneven in quality.
    The two best are Neil and Joni. No covers ever bettered their original recordings.
    I don't dislike Jackson Browne or Dylan, just sometimes others do a better recording. When I hear "Watchtower" I don't think of Dylan at all. To me it seems like a Hendrix creation.
    Glen Campbell's cover of Browne's "Days Like These" is a first rate recording.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You shut your dirty, whorish mouth!

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

LOL.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Great song and video, Songbird.

I greatly respect albert77 from both a poster and music knowledge perspective, but I would say he's misguided on the Pretenders and Elton.

I could name song after song from the Pretenders, but I will leave it at just "The Wait"--one of the finest three or four minutes of music from that era.

On the flip side, agree wholeheartedly on Lou Reed. He was the other name besides Dylan I thought of immediately regarding this thread.

Re: the BoDeans--I would suggest starting with "Dreams". That one is a beaut.

Songbird likes this.
  9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Elton John from the '70s wasn't playing elevator music.

SFIND, Dick Whitman and HC like this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Pretenders' "The Cuban Slide" and "2,000 Miles" are great songs. And yes QYFW, "Tumbleweed Connection," "Honkey Chateau," "Madman," "GYR" are far removed from elevator music.

BoDeans L&H&S&D and Outside Looking In are outstanding,and Joe Dirt Car is a solid live album. Their Best of CD is also excellent

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  11. bourq25

bourq25 Member

Maybe Lady Gaga? Katy Perry?

12. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Love KISS. Love AC/DC

Overrated? Oasis comes to mind for some reason. Depeche Mode. I can go with some of the other folks who mention Bruce Springsteen.

Current artists - Kendrick Lamar, Ed Sheeran

Draft saved Draft deleted